I am getting a DNS error and have done all the suggestions and it is still not working.

cinhun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I created an account downloaded the software and am getting a DNS error. Have tried all the help suggestions and it still wont work. I uninstalled and tried again and still get the same thing. How can I get a ticket to support for them to check on this or how can I get it fixed

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

I created an account downloaded the software and am getting a DNS error. Have tried all the help suggestions and it still wont work. I uninstalled and tried again and still get the same thing. How can I get a ticket to support for them to check on this or how can I get it fixed

If you are not a Premium member of SL, you cannot submit a support ticket about a technical issue.  Here are your only choices >>> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Types_of_Support_Case .

Since I cannot know which "all the help suggestions" you have tried, let me give you the whole ball of wax and let you decide what you have not tried yet:

General

If you have DNS errors trying to log in, or simply get disconnected during or immediately on log in, try flushing your DNS cache; how to do that is explained here for Windows, Linux, and older Mac operating systems. For newer Mac operating systems (Lion and Mountain Lion), see here.

if this doesn't help, then try setting your DNS to Google: Google Public DNS

Should using Google as a DNS not work for you then see here for alternate servers, or grab DNS Bench to help you locate one.

See below for other causes which are specific to your operating system.

Windows

Possible Virus

If you get an error concerning DNS lookup fail when trying to log in, the first thing to do is ensure that you have not had your computer infected by a DNS changer malware. Please visit dwcg.org, click on Detect (near the upper left) and then select the site closest to you, from the list. If you find you are infected, please read here for fixes.

Please also see this article.

Other

DNS errors might also be caused by anti-virus software; see this page for more on that.

Mac

• On your Mac, open System Preferences and go to Network > Advanced > DNS
    • Hit the plus button (+) and type in the numbers 8.8.8.8.
    • Hit the plus button (+) and type in the numbers 8.8.4.4.
      • If you live in Asia or Australia, you will need to use the following numbers instead of those just listed: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Even those in other parts of the world might find this pair to work better, so if you complete the process and find no change, repeat it with this set.
    • Close the System Preferences and restart your viewer.

Finally,

If you use Hands Off! security software, try uninstalling it. So far, the evidence that this software may be related to this problem is anecdotal, but it is something to try.

Certain proxy redirectors external to the viewer can cause “DNS Could Not Resolve the Host Name” failure at login.
ProxyCap proxy redirector is known to cause this.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.