How to fix the DNS could not resolve Hostname error if you tried anything else?

zaPP Zanetti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey Guys!

Coming back with an old problem I NEVER fixed I still get the error "DNS could not resolve Hostname"

I really tried all the things:

• Shut down and restart after awhile (PC, router, modem)
  • flush DNS using command prompt
  • clear cache
  • tried logging in a different region
  • use Google DNS, also MAC DNS xD (Windows XP)
  • diffrent viewer
  • 2nd PC
  • several tweaks

For a while I used Phoenix since it was the only viewer that worked for me. Now its still working BUT all the people are GREY and its recommended to use Firestorm. I´ve downloaded Firestorm and BAM, same error. Downloaded ALL the other Mech-Viewers, nothing helped. BTW I got that error in germany, in the netherlands, in belgium, on diffrent PCs except for Phoenix.. wich is unfortunately outdated now. 

So is there a last insider tip to get it working? To be honest.. if everybody is grey, or I cannot log in to SL - what sense does it make to log in tomorrow except for cancelling rentals and leave SL with a tear? lol

No, serious - PLEASE HELP ME! 

Sincerely 

zaPP

3 answers to this question

Hey Guys!

Coming back with an old problem I NEVER fixed I still get the error "DNS could not resolve Hostname"

I really tried all the things:

• Shut down and restart after awhile (PC, router, modem)
  • flush DNS using command prompt
  • clear cache
  • tried logging in a different region
  • use Google DNS, also MAC DNS xD (Windows XP)
  • diffrent viewer
  • 2nd PC
  • several tweaks

For a while I used Phoenix since it was the only viewer that worked for me. Now its still working BUT all the people are GREY and its recommended to use Firestorm. I´ve downloaded Firestorm and BAM, same error. Downloaded ALL the other Mech-Viewers, nothing helped. BTW I got that error in germany, in the netherlands, in belgium, on diffrent PCs except for Phoenix.. wich is unfortunately outdated now. 

So is there a last insider tip to get it working? To be honest.. if everybody is grey, or I cannot log in to SL - what sense does it make to log in tomorrow except for cancelling rentals and leave SL with a tear? lol

No, serious - PLEASE HELP ME! 

Sincerely 

zaPP

Since you've used different computers, and in different locations, and different viewers, the only common points I can think of are 1) your internet service provider, and 2) your network router and/or internet DSL or cable modem.

Try swapping out one or the other.  Change ISPs, or get a different router and/or modem.

I don't know much about Macs, but this fix seems to have helped a couple of people: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer-Basic-Mode/Mac-Second-Life-DNS-Error-FIX/td-p/1727133

ETA Someone asking the same question later on was referred by Rolig Loon to this article:http://www.it-digest.info/2012/10/11/how-to-flush-dns-cache-in-mac-os-x/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.