Got New NetGear Router, but it closes SL what do i do?

Xandra Bracken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have got a new Netgear wireless modem N150 DGN1000 router.  Old D-LINK had problems with the connections in the ports and wont keep connection on the desktop.

PC shop says its to do with "port forwarding" as the NetGear has firewalls inbuilt.  What needs to be added to the modem settings for it to play SL for longer that 80 seconds? I am using a wired connection.

Here are a few details:

Second Life 1.23.5 (136262) Oct 14 2009 12:08:26 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

Built with MSVC version 1400

CPU: AMD (Unknown model) (2109 MHz)
Memory: 1918 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista (Build 6000)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0011.9745
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

New router is a NETGEAR Modem Router N150 DGN1000.

If i connect old router (a 3 year old D-LINK) I can connect to SL though Laptop wirelessly and remain connected for hours if necessary.

I tried asking another forum and was told to put in a support ticket. I have a basic account, but tried anyway. I was told support isnt for people with basic or guest accounts.

I hope someone can help =)

13 answers to this question

About support for Basic accounts you CAN fill some Support Tickets:

• Type: Special Questions - Basic account or Guest login
  • Basic or Guest access: Account Issues.
  • Account issues: I cannot login inworld with my account.

This is a new router, correct?  Netgear has a support site and most likely a 24/7 toll free phone number to call (I know Linksys and D-Link do since I've used both manufactures in the past.....Linksys presently).  My experience with both tech support people for each manufacturer has be nothing less than excellent.....call them.  They are much more likely to give you accurate and reliable information.  Though you can get some great information on this forum, for hardware specific issues, it's always best to contact the manufacturer of the hardware.  It's very unlikely that anyone here has detailed tech specs like the manufacturer's tech support people do.  Surely you have at least a 90 day warranty on the router.

And you'd be surprised.......in both cases where I've connected them they knew of Second Life and had a very easy and quick fix.  It was working before I hung up the phone.  Maybe 10 mins once I got to talk to a real person.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, problem WAS with D-LINK, it couldn't get a wired connection to the internet, never mind SL. Only thing that worked on D-LINK was wireless connection which was no good for the Desktop (which had just come back from being repaired, had new motherboard and hard drive) so no probs there.

NetGear couldnt stay connected to SL, people on Support line had never heard of SL btw, they kept saying "is that on XBOX?".

With the help of the post that had the Wiki page link in and eventually (after 3 calls) the support line and a few headaches leter, We got there.

oh, That was a while ago now...

Goto:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Firewall_Configuration#Ports

maybe your ports need configuring, it helped us (husband actually sorted it, i watched)

after doing the port bit, he was on the support line to Netgear 3 times, they didnt know what SL was or at least that operator didnt. Maybe if you call them you might get someone who knows what SL is

I found the answer to this on the Italian SL Forum having had the same problem since VirginMedia started issuing device to new customers.

Log on to your router and choose ADSL settings on the left hand menu.

Change  Multiplexing Method from VC based to LLC based. This fixed mine with no other changes. If you are already set to LLC based, it must be something else.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Wow Kronos - that's brilliant, thank you!!!

I bought a Netgear DGN1000 N150 back in November to replace my existing modem who's only fault was I could only connect one computer at a time and didn't have wireless.  I was so disappointed when SL quit for no apparent reason after about a minute or two every time.  I have had to switch routers whenever I need to use the desktop and laptop together versus when I want to play SL for 8 MONTHS.  I thoguht router was actually faulty (it has a wireless on/off button that doesn't work, as well).

Changing that multiplex setting seems to have fixed it for SL (don't think I'm jumping the gun, but I've been logged on to SL for over 30 mins now; hopefully there are no side-effects I've not found yet).

Much appreciated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.