Setting Max Complexity (The UI awkwardness)

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If can be hard to set a particular Maximum Complexity. It uses a slider with a high and messy granularity. You can't get a simple number such as "300,000" The step-size isn't a clean 1000 or 10000. It's annoying.

Some sliders have an alternative numeric input box, and the code for that seems to have a built-in maximu of 100,000. Is that enough? Not really, I have seen some mesh clothing below 10,000, but most Avatars I see are over 100,000

So set No Limit. This does work, but leaves you vulnerable to somebody wearing an attachment that aims to crash your graphics.

I have found an answer, which is a bit scary. I'd rather have a working numeric input option in Preferences. If you want to set a neat round number, you have to use the Debug settings.

Debug Setting: RenderAvatarMaxComplexity

This is what the slider changes, it's nothing wildly dangerous, but any time you want to change Debug settings you risk messing with the wrong entry. So be careful.

I would far rather have a proper numeric input box in Preferences, as an alternative to the slider.

300,000 is a far easier number to remember and use in a conversation that 295,442 (which I can only say is close to the number that the slider gives).

After I set the maximum this way. I have only seen one jelly doll, somebody at over 400,000, and I might be able to set it down at 200,000 without affecting many more people. I do hang around with Furries, and their Avatars can be a bit higher complexity than a human. It's quite possible for a furry to be lower complexity than a human.

• 3 weeks later...

arabellajones wrote:

If can be hard to set a particular Maximum Complexity. It uses a slider with a high and messy granularity. You can't get a simple number such as "300,000" The step-size isn't a clean 1000 or 10000. It's annoying.

Yes, it can be mildly annoying if you have tendency to prefer round number (and I surely have that myself). But it has no practical significance since ARC numbers aren't that precise anyway. 300,000 and 301,342 really means the same.

ChinRey wrote:

arabellajones wrote:

Yes, it can be mildly annoying if you have tendency to prefer round number (and I surely have that myself).
But it has no practical significance since ARC numbers aren't that precise anyway. 300,000 and 301,342 really means the same.

So does your computer, and it says to you, "1001001001111100000? Why so bizarre? What are these fingers you speak of, human?"

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

What are these fingers you speak of, human?"

Yes, I know the concept of fingers can be as confusing to computers as Blender is to humans. But it is important to learn because there can be no digital if there are no digits!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.