Stock 3D Models for SL

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not that I'm aware of - there's a marketplace for such a thing. I wouldn't even risk it, if you really want to upload some yourself then try learning Blender or some other 3D software instead of uploading somebody elses content.

In addition to the risk factor Jinxui mentioned, there is also the matter of LOD.

Second Life mesh is different from mesh used in other 3D environment in that it has a mandatory and fixed system of LOD models and you need a way to create those. The uploader does have a function for generating them automatically but it's so flawed it's all but useless, so to upload mesh of anything resembling reasonable quality, you have to make them manually. And once you have enough 3D modelling skills to do that, it's easier for you to make the main model from scratch rather than use stock content anyway.

Game-ready stock models are growing by the numbers each year, I hope Sansar will have a strong content protection so we can take an advantage of stock models. They are really handy for populate a large scene, even if you have to modify them. Thanks for the inputs. Peace.

Oct Oyen wrote:

Game-ready stock models are growing by the numbers each year, I hope Sansar will have a strong content protection so we can take an advantage of stock models.

Possibly. I wouldn't bet on it though. Apparently LL wants a Sansar scenario to be just as full of content as one in SL and still manage to maintain a VR-headset friendly frame rate. That's a tall order and I doubt you'll find much ready-made generic content that'll fit the bill.

Actually, I think you'll find just about any content people can steal or borrow on the itnernet or from games on the MP already. There are many legal and technical problems with such content but not everybody are worried about that as long as they can get something for free and sell it. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.