Using other creators' textures

RubyPolanski

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, guys! Sorry if this question has already been answered multiple times but I haven't been able to find a clear answer and I don't want to mess things up. Can I use textures that I buy from other creators on marketplace for the objects I'm going to sell later or do I also need the permission from the texture's creator? What is the common practice? Are those textures just for personal use? Thanks.

Almost most of the time, if you are buying from marketplace, there is a "User license" found within the marketplace description. A good example would be this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Skye-Terrain-Textures-Lush-Grassy-40-x-2-Full-Perms-Grass-Terrain-Textures/2175219

Licence: Do not resell or distribute these as textures sets. Resell only as part of a build.

Please Note: Textures purchased from SL Marketplace are licensed for use only within Second Life.

For an extended commercial licence please purchase from studio-skye.com

If you are buying in-world, there is probably either a sign or notecard giver somewhere that provides this license.

If there is no license provided, I'd say go with common practice:

• If you payed more than L$0 for the textures, don't go sharing them around. You can use them on your builds, whether the builds be full perm, or no perm, free, or L$999,999,999.
  • Avoid including the textures in the object's inventory. This may be acceptable if you need to use a script that you cannot modify, in which case, You set the permissions texture permissions to "no-transfer, no-copy"(Unless you payed L$0 for them). If you can modify the script, either directly or via notecard, it is HIGHLY preferable you use the texture's UUID.
  • And most importantly, If in doubt, ask the creator!

If you need some full perm textures that you can share around freely, I'd suggest Torley Textures. I'm pretty sure Torley Linden has moved the texture giver around, but I am for sure they are still at Here, if not he probably moved them to Torley.

--EDIT--

Correction: I had Torley's wiki userpage open and I slipped right by it, he stores his textures on Torley, located approximately right here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Torley/158/163/68

• Like 1

All the textures I've purchased, the only restrictions I've seen are you can't sell or gife them away as is but are free to use them on your inworld creations in Second Life. If you're planning on using them in another universed, such as InWorldz, you'll need to purchase a license for that world. 

As for Torley's Textures...I have a vendor set up at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nieun/202/119/801 

If the creator sells them "full perm" (copy mod transfer) it's assumed you will be buying them to use on something for other people.

A few texture sellers have a "Personal use only" notioce ... don't buy from them.

Just don't buy my textures and resell them as textures. Use them on a sofa or a bikini or something.

And if you want the Torley Textures ... I have the vendor in my texture shed for anyone who wants one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

A few texture sellers have a "Personal use only" notioce ... don't buy from them.

Why not?

Early in my Second Life experience, I used all sorts of things with varying permissions. I did fine. I made scenes then took photos or made Machinima out of them.

Its like you're trying to get customers to trust YOU, but not other sellers on the market...

Also from your own marketplace from a texture listing for sale (of course), you say

You've probably see these textures for sale here, or in world, often with stern warnings about not reselling them, being passed off as original work. They are downloaded from a site called FilterForge.com where they are the result of some amazing mathematical graphics filters. Why am I reselling them? The EULA of the site they come from says it's OK to redistribute and even resell the "presets" - the samples of the filter output. I'm annoyed at seeing them for sale as if they were original. I just hope to make enough to cover the upload charges eventually.

I would hope that this is not how you will continue to sell your products, by bashing other texture creators on Second Life, and asserting that they are selling downloaded textures from FilterForge. You're hoping to gain trust from potential customers, by alleging that other creators are being deceptive as to what they say are 'original' textures.

Filter Forge is a Photoshop plugin for creating textures. Blender can also create random materials and textures built into the software. Photoshop, Gimp, Krita, JASC Paintshop Pro and probably Manga Studio can be used to create patterns, textures and materials with tools and plugins as well.

By your logic, nothing created from these things would be original or could be credited towards the artist creating them. "Guys don't buy this guys textures, because he uses the Filter->Render Clouds filter in the process in Photoshop"

Now if you feel guilty for using some presets in Filter Forge or other application, and you did it with ease, its up to you what you feel you can sell them for. I have my own pricing system for the textures or products I will sell which is based on its uniqueness, the time put into it, and what I would like from it - this can vary depending on the current skillset, etc. In the past I have featured products for free because I only used prims inworld and free textures from a sandbox, and I did it for fun, so I priced them accordingly. Creating a high quality custom screen animation for another product is a different matter, and is priced accordingly as well.

Your sales pitch also ignores the fact that there are those of use who DO create our own textures from scratch much of the time, get photos of our own wood and concrete and fabric, or hand paint them, etc. When we claim that we have original and unique textures, not only is it a selling feature, but it is a fact.

I don't mean to come down on you too hard, but just to inform you that trying to gain business by pointing at other businesses and saying that they are not to be trusted, but to trust you, is not the best way.

(just some unsolicited feedback)

PS. Don't accuse your potential customers of being 'Freeriders" neither

Want more cool textures? Want to make your own instead of free-riding off my uploads and the kindness of strangers?

They're hardly freeriding as soon as they pay you $L for your pre-rendered textures from Filter Forge :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.