Convex Hull Prim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Mick

I have also been interested in this subject, and I have read a lot about it in this forum.

While you wait for someone to answer you, you could try to type: convex hull, in the search field in the forum, and you will find some very good and interesting threads, which tell you almost all about this way of building :matte-motes-grin: ...

I'll try to give a good and easy to understand answer:

Land impact is all about how much load an object puts on the server and the internet connections. It can be calculated in two different ways:

The old way: Just count the prims.

The new way: A rather more complex calculation to estimate the actual load for the object.

Changing one or more parts of a linkset to convex hull, is one of many ways to force the land impact to be calculated the new way. Usually this gives a lower result and you can save up to 50% land impact on old style prim builds that way.

But it can backfire. Sometimes the the actual land impact turns out to be higher than the prim count. It doesn't happen very often but unless you know a bit of building theory and how to fix the issue, it can be a really nasty surprise.

My best suggestion, unless you want to invest a bit of time on studying the theory and do the math, is to always make sure to have a backup copy before you do the convexing trick. That way you can always just delete and replace if things go wrong.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.