The World Map has several other useful functions for exploring and navigating Second Life. You can track your friends' whereabouts, teleport to one of your landmarked locations, or teleport directly to a region by name!
When you set a destination on the world map, it appears as a red circle. At the same time, a vertical red beacon appears inworld to guide you to your destination. The beacon is most useful when you teleport into a region that is using a telehub; you may not land at the location you desired, use the beacon to guide you the rest of the way. To clear your current destination/beacon, press the Clear button on the map or click on the beacon arrow.
You can track your friends' location inworld if they have chosen to allow it. Click the My Friends Online dropdown and choose the friend you want to find. The avatar's location appears on your map as a red destination marker.
To allow a friend to see your location on the map:
- Open your friend's profile
- Click on the gear icon.
- Click Permissions.
- Select the See me on the map checkbox.
|Tip: It is possible to teleport directly to your friend's location by pressing the Teleport button. However, it is good etiquette to respect your friends' privacy by IMing first. Teleporting to another Resident's location unannounced is considered very impolite!|
To teleport to a landmark:
- Click the My Landmarks dropdown
- Choose a landmark from the list to mark your destination
- Click Teleport to travel there instantly.
If you teleport into a region that is using a telehub, you may need to use the navigation beacon to reach your final destination.
To search for a region by name:
- Type part of its name in the text field next to the Find button.
- Click the Search button. The results show all matching region names
- Click on one of the names shown in the list to center the map here.
- Click Teleport to teleport there immediately.
If the region has a designated telehub, you will arrive there; otherwise, you will go to the center of the region.
To arrive at a specific location in a region:
- Search for the region name and select it from the search results as described above
- Type the coordinates into the Location boxes
- Click Teleport.
Click Copy SLurl to clipboard to copy the SLurl link of your current destination to your computer's clipboard. You can use SLurl links to post Second Life locations on web pages, in chat, or emails. For more information see SLurls.
The Mini-Map helps you navigate around Second Life. To view the Mini-Map, select World > Mini-Map or click the button in the toolbar.