Shared Media Textures.

Ganthrithor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I'm using Media Textures to display pictures from online sources rather than having to upload to SL. It worked perfectly. Everything was going hunky dory until i realized that I had not set the proper permissions for each of my prims (people were navigating away from my textures). Now,  sometimes the texture for one or more of my prims is blank when i reload secondlife. it's always the same prims doing it, and I dont know why would some prims behave properly, and others poorly. Nor am I certain that the bug is related to the resetting of the permissions. I will try re-enabling the permissions to see if the problem goes away

Right now I can't debug cuz the server appears to be down (ominous).

I believe the problem is related to the fact that the images have to reload everytime they go out of camera range. This is unfortunate. I'm sure there's a work-around. I will just have to investigate Pre-loading. I wonder though, because this problem does not seem so simple.

I've stopped attempting to code the priveleges. I've found that the GUI offers a more reliable solution. I set the params in Build > Texture > Media > Customize. They are set to None/None for Anyone, Group, and Owner.

I'm starting to think it's not related to that more and more though. There's a problem I've seen where if you spin around in circles the textures all go blank, no matter which prim. Then they reload. I don't have a clue where to start except to investigate preloading. But i doubt it is as simple as a simple image preloading issue as it happens every time they go out of range. Sometimes the images simply DON'T reload, this is a serious problem.

What I need is a piece of code that refreshes the images every 5 seconds or something.

As far as I know, that's normal "expected" behavior for prim media.  I have tended to avoid MOAP in many applications, though.  Many people either do not use viewers that support MOAP or have deliberately turned off access to streamed media in Preferences to avoid IP capture issues.  Despite your best efforts, therefore, MOAP will not be visible to many SL residents.  If you're dealing with textures that do not need to be updated frequently, you'll find that more people will be able to see them if you simply upload standard image files and apply them to prims.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.