Discussion for Sales Groups and Promoting

Saucey Sinister

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all!

I'm looking for opinions from the rest of you experienced folks!! I am very busy in rl and I tend to keep to myself in Sl so I sometimes lose out on what is really going on in SL. That being said, I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about the mass production of sales groups and hunts in SL.

I find that doing hunts, as a merchant, is just not the same as it used to be. I do believe there's a decent amount of customers to be gained, but it really does seem like with the mass production of hunts that the novelty isn't a rare thing anymore but something you must do to get people into your store because everyone is focusing on these promotions. I do feel that most who are just after freebies aren't going to be paying customers anyway, but what about those sales groups? Am I the only one worried that there are numerous days of the week and weekend 50L-ish type groups? Sure, it was a great promotion at first, but now people are coming into Sl feeling that things should cost about 50L-100L a piece. That's great for someone without income in SL, but 543L is only $2.50 US. I'm curious if anyone realizes how much this drags down the ability to pay rent. I'm lucky that my sales do cover my 1/4 sim, but that costs $80 a month... and a lot of dresses if I were to be stuck competing at 100L an outfit. I feel that my prices are fair, but my worry is that what was once a great marketing idea has actually driven down our sales without changing the value of the Linden. I worry about what this will do to the entire market.

Thoughts, anyone?

Saucey Sinister wrote:

Hello all!

I'm looking for opinions from the rest of you experienced folks!! I am very busy in rl and I tend to keep to myself in Sl so I sometimes lose out on what is really going on in SL. That being said, I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about the mass production of sales groups and hunts in SL.

I find that doing hunts, as a merchant, is just not the same as it used to be. I do believe there's a decent amount of customers to be gained, but it really does seem like with the mass production of hunts that the novelty isn't a rare thing anymore but something you must do to get people into your store because everyone is focusing on these promotions. I do feel that most who are just after freebies aren't going to be paying customers anyway, but what about those sales groups? Am I the only one worried that there are numerous days of the week and weekend 50L-ish type groups? Sure, it was a great promotion at first, but now people are coming into Sl feeling that things should cost about 50L-100L a piece. That's great for someone without income in SL, but 543L is only $2.50 US. I'm curious if anyone realizes how much this drags down the ability to pay rent. I'm lucky that my sales do cover my 1/4 sim, but that costs $80 a month... and a lot of dresses if I were to be stuck competing at 100L an outfit. I feel that my prices are fair, but my worry is that what was once a great marketing idea has actually driven down our sales without changing the value of the Linden. I worry about what this will do to the entire market.

Thoughts, anyone?

There are always going to be lots of hunters who are there simply for the freebie item, however, I have had a lot of luck getting people to spend. I think the key is to have things out that people will buy. I usually hide my hunt items by items that typically sell the best. I see it in my transaction history all the time  where someone bought the hunt item for 0L and the very next transaction could be the item it was hidden by and they bought it. One hunt I am in right now I see it a lot because it's a darker themed hunt and I hid the item next to a couples coffin. So all these people who RP as vampires elsewhere and are on the hunt find the item and then catch a glimpse of an item that would fit their needs. It's really all about placement to get them to turn into shoppers there on the spot. Now, getting them back...for that you need to get them on your subscription list which is a whole other obstacle.

And I don't think the group sales drag anything down. Honestly, because of those groups my sales have gone up, Not just a little...but A LOT. I don't think I sell anything in my store that costs 50L, or 60L. I think my cheapest item might be 75 or 100L and that's probably a little table statue or accessory or something. Most who shop in my store leave having spent around 2000-5000l. So, I don't see any damage done due to those.

I belong to a "weekday sales group" with a price cap of 99L. I think that's a decent price cap that allows designers to sell some nicer stuff than the lower priced groups.

The key is to offer nice items in a range of prices. You don't have to sell only freebie stuff for 50L. I don't sell or give away "freebie junk" at all. Not even for hunts. How are prospective customers going to get a good impression of the products you sell if you just throw them some crap, right? Use resources (sculpts, textures, etc.) that you already have in inventory and give them the best product you can. Set a time limit on your labor if you want. Find a well established hunt. I do hunts for Fire Island Natures hunts, Royal Living and Home & Garden Market. I always get customers and subscribers from those hunts.

I think sales groups are a great alternative to hunts, and you should use the same philosophy when creating items for those too. Limit your time, and put a limit on what you will spend to create the item or use only stuff in your inventory. Have pride in the thing you make and people will love it, feel lucky to have it at a good price, and become fans of your work :)

And ultimately, be realistic about how you are pricing your regular inventory. I was in SL for a couple of years before I opened up shop, and I did tons of research into pricing. The truth is, you may feel like your items are worth 500l, but if everyone else is selling them for 150l, they are not. If you want to sell high priced items, do limited time exclusives, add value to the product by making it resizable, texture change, etc. 

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I think what my problem might be is that until more recently I was simply trying to make art from the doll or girlie styles in full outfits and was afraid to do anything that wasn't in that exact catagory, but now I am designing things a little more common as well as my dolly type outfits. I agree that perhaps I should step away from hunts and try to focus more on the sales groups. I could easily sell the outfit I am giving away for the Mix Match hunt for 100L! I also really love the idea about hiding the item towards other items people in that hunt may buy. Again, I think my experience has been limited because I stick to doll like and girlie hunts. I guess I'll just have to hope my rp customer base doesn't disown me for going a little more fashion trendy this year!! Thanks again, and please people keep leaving your opinions! I really love hearing things from another's experience!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.