Photoshop and Repoussé

Sirix Finesmith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://youtu.be/zWf0BePOvMo

From what I can see, this may be yet another way to make .dae and obj files for use with SL. I decided to try, and while the resultant meshes will upload, none of the texture data seems to save correctly. 

Has anyone else tried this? What options do I need to upload with in order to have my textures fit on the meshes in SL the same as they do in photoshop?

Thank you.

From what I've seen, Repousse is an extremely limited means of creating a 3D model.   It's meant primarily for adding simplistic 3D effects to images.  It's really not suitable for creating models for general use.  Unless I'm mistaken, it offers the user no means of controlling the UV layout, or the poly count, or even the basic polygonal structure, of the models it creates.

If you're a 2D artist who wants to add some pseudo-3D elements to your work, without having to touch any other software besides Photoshop, then Repousse might be useful for you.  However, if you're a 3D artist who wants to make models for SL, or for games, or for anything else, then Repousse is just about useless.  You need real 3D modeling software for that.

To answer your question, the reason you're having trouble getting the textures to apply the same way in SL as they do in Photoshop is because Repousse is applying them via projection, independent of the UV's.  On flat surfaces, like the top and bottom of the paddle in the tutorial, you should be able to replicate that in SL, simply by using planar mapping.  But for curved surfaces, like the sides of the paddle, the bevels, the insides of the holes, you're most likely out of luck.  Without a proper UV map, and/or without more advanced projection options, SL has no way of knowing how to wrap the texturing around the various surface shapes.

Also, it's possible that the way Repousse is defining materials might not be directly usable.  I'm still using CS4, so I don't have Repousse on hand to test how it generates materials lists for export.  For now, I'll just say it might or it might not be doing it right, and that if it isn't, then that would be another reason you're unable to texture your models properly in SL.

Again, Repousse's purpose is to do elementary 3D stuff within Photoshop.  It's just not designed for making models that will be useful elsewhere.  I wouldn't suggest expending too much effort barking up this particular tree.  Your time would be much better spent working with an actual 3D modeling program.

I think the main thing is that it doesn't UV map.

I was using it to make a low prim house, cutting out the windows, interior doorframes and the like, each wall was just one mesh, and the texture changes between rooms were done onto that mesh.

I suppose I could use this tool, swing it through blender or Zbrush to add a UV map, then swing it back for texturing.

It will export in mesh format, but it will also export as OBJ.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.