Why am I always showing offline? I don't receive IM's, nor replies to my IM's to others.

Starlett Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I think my neighbor has done something to create an issue with me being seen as online.  First I was a ghost for 3 days.  I would test character, rebuild from my saved skins, shapes, etc., but next relog I was a ghost again.  Today, I did log back in still put together, but still not receiving messages inworld, and no one see's me as online.  Also, he has a big map of the sim (it appears) and my name is in floaty text over a red button with (32) after it.  The other 3 corners have text giving the coordinates of the sim, etc.  He has been setting off bombs, shooting into my house with lazers, and before my avi got messed up, he dropped into my house on my head!  WTH is going on?  I have sent multiple tickets in, and hear nothing.  Help!

Thank you for your input and suggestions...I am in the process of trying them now.  As for the abuse from the neighbor over the last week.  We did send in abuse reports, especially after he dropped inside the house through the roof, and then we found an item of his weapon inside the house.  There is good cause for concern, in our humble opinion.  Again, thank you for the suggestions, and I am very hopeful it will resolve this annoying problem!

2 answers to this question

It might be a Bug. I've reviewed your previously asked questions and comments, I think the problem may be related to the Viewer you are using. 

Sometimes an update, or, rollback to a different Viewer can solve the problem.

Setting Busy Mode, and, setting your Profile Privacy settings to "nobody" may effect your ability to get IM's. Check those settings.

Residents do not have the ability to hide your Online status from other Residents.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with your neighbor griefing you (and that would explain the lack of action from LL about your "tickets".......Abuse Report is the proper report of ticket to send in).  The constant failure to rezz (what I think you meant when you said you were a "ghost:) is an indicationg of a connection to the servers problem.......actually it's a classic symptom of connection problems.  Now you are showing as not online.  Not being online is always a connection problem.  Instead of seeking a solution by blaming your neighbor try rebooting your router and modem (one of the very common causes of connection problems).  Unplug the devices from their electrical source for 3 to 5 minutes then plug them back in.  Reboot your computer computer to re-establish your Internet connection and try SL again.

That, by far, is not the only problem that could cause connection problems but it is the most common and because of that the first thing to try to fix it.  If you still have the problem we will need some computer specs and a little more detailed discription of the problem (leave out your neighbor since that is very unlikely have much, if anything, to do with your problem).  To get your specs the easiest way is to launch your viewer but don't log in.  Under the "Help" menu click "About Second Life" and copy the specs given by your viewer back here. 

Don't start a new thread to give the additional information.  Use the "Options" at the upper right corner of your initial post and "Edit".

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.