As I can patent my products do not copy right?

Melindart Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

A copyright protects original "authored works" - drawings, poems, books, movies, etc. If you drew an original artwork, you could copyright that artwork so that no one could legally reproduce it without your permission. HOWEVER, it is currently your responsibility to notice when something has been reproduced, especially online.

A patent covers inventions or discoveries. For example, the DCS combat system could potentially qualify for a patent.

They are two different things, so you first need to know which one you need. Note that a copyright exists from the moment your original work is published/released - it is your intellectual property. However, if you wish to file any kind of legal claim for copyright violation, the copyright must be registered.

(There is also a trademark, which gives ownership over things like brand names - i.e. Disney, Nike. These are trademarked. Trademarks also cover logos - so Disney's signature...well, signature - is trademarked, as is the Nike checkmark. If you have created a logo or specific, unique name brand and wish to prohibit others from using it, you can also apply for a trademark.)

To figure out which one you need, check out the US copyright office and the US patent and trademark office; and once you know, you can go through those websites to find out how to file for it, if you decide you need it at all. Note that the US has copyright agreements with many other countries, but NOT ALL. Linden Labs is a US-based company that operates world-wide, so I'm not sure, if you are outside the US, exactly whose policies you need to follow. That would be a good question to ask those offices.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.