What is "IP & Alt scanner HUD" and what does it do?

ejohara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Didn't know where to put this.

So I left my machine on overnight and when I returned this morning, I found two attempts each by an unfamiliar user to send me "Sl Viewer Info" from "IP & Alt scanner HUD" and  "IP & Alt scanner HUD" from  "IP & Alt scanner HUD".

Screenshot

The name is straightfoward enough, but though I googled and checked XStreet, I can't dig this thing up. I'm wondering if it's a Redzone copycat. I'm concerned that this may be a situation where a user accepts an item and the sender uses the connection to scan IP, check for alts -- invade the recipient's privacy. If this is the case, this can go as far as compromising someone's physical security.

I realize one can hide his or her IP, but not every user is so literate or wary enough to reject "gifts". So has anyone else heard of this thing and/or know what it does? Is it an occurence of abuse with enough substance to report? If so, how do I prove it was this person since I already rejected his transfers and his name disappeared?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Sweeharts is a very well know and established club. It seems from your screenshot that the inventory offers you received are related to joining their group. It would be very surprising that these can be harmful in any way, coming from one the most famous and oldest venues in SL, so I wouldn't bother about that and certainly not care filing an abuse report. Keep on ignoring and declining is your best bet.

There's nothing here to abuse report from what I can see.  If the message said "Can of Soda" from Drink Vending HUD, would you accept it then?  Hopefully not.   If you did accept the Can of Soda and it asked you to grant permission to take your Linden, THEN you have a reason to submit an Abuse Report.  If everyone filed abuse reports for every object someone unknown tried to send them, the Abuse Report system would be flooded.

--Cinn

You can AR the person who tried to give you this item.  Just use your screenshot as an attachment to the AR form.  It does look as if the thing is, or is pretending to be, a Redzone type device.

EDIT:  Unlike valerie or Cinnamon, I would probably AR this one.  I don't AR "every object some stranger tries to send me" but this one has a very suspicious sounding name.  If taking a few minutes to AR it would get a TOS-violating object removed from the grid, it'd be worth it.

Sweethearts has 3 objects only that is passed out to our guests automatically.

1. The Terms of Service of the Region,

2. The Landmark to the club

(Both items 1 and 2 are given at the teleport location)

3. The group joiner. Which is set to a 5 meter range and only given if walking down the right side staircase. Also it is clickable for those wishing to join on their own accord.

To the OP: If the screen shot was taken in the location you were standing, then it none of the listed objects above would not be inrange of any of these items. It seems to be user based, meaning someone sent it, and this person may or may not have been inside the club. Please be assued Sweethearts, does NOT pass out any such device.

To my knowledge all such alt HUD and alt tracking devices are against TOS. We have one other report of a guest receiving said objects and we have tracked down the sender themselves to inquire what this item is and why they are passing them out.

Thank you ejohara for bringing this to the attention of the Sweethearts staff. We are wth you in filing AR's on objects named in such manners.

Hugs,

Shannon

(Blake Hambleton & Shannon Bramlington -The New Owners of Sweethearts Jazz Club.)

Red like a boiled lobster (Dutch expression for being totally ashamed and embarrased) I have to admit that the idiot with that thing was me. What happened is this: I found it in my invent, and must have acquired it over 2 years ago or so. So I thought, geez, lets wear it and see what happens. On my screen I saw nothing, but apparently others in my vicinity got spammed !  Fortunately someone was kind enough to warn me, so I trashed the thing and deleted it. So Ejohara, I like to apologize to you (and others) for all annoyment I caused you with my ignorance. This was just one black moment in my SL history, and I assure you it won't happen again. If ever I find things in my invent of which I am not sure, I will ask around for more information. Like you I go to SH to have a good time and to give others a good time, not to annoy or bother them with idiocy. I really am sorry and hope you and others will accept my apology. Pls feel free to contact me if you have questions or want to talk about it. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.