Yup, I'm doing research for school too. Anyone want to answer a few questions?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to do a website for class about netiquette in MMOs, and since SL counts, after a fashion, I figured I'd ask all of you if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions. Let's make it two or three. Also, if I can find somewhere to post the website or at least a screenshot of the page these will go on, I will. Also, let me know if you want me to credit/quote you or if you'd rather remain anonymous. Thanks in advance, even if no one replies.

1) Even though the restrictions on content vary in the three different world types (PG/Mature/Adult, I think it is), do you think the netiquette is still the same? That is, do you think people still use the same/similar language style and treat people the same way despite the age restrictions? (This doesn't include the RP or combat worlds)

2) Following up on the firsr question, for those who have been to the Mature and Adult worlds, do you think that people even use any netiquette there or is it "anything goes" when it comes to how people treat each other?

3) Are there any places in SL you avoid because of the netiquette rules there or lack thereof? No need to name them, just need to describe it. For example, I avoid Gor sims like the plague, because even OOC people tend to treat each other really horribly and show know respect for each other.

Thanks again in advance,
~ Kylee (long-time user, forum newbie)

Kylee Windstorm wrote:

I have to do a website for class about netiquette in MMOs, and since SL counts, after a fashion, I figured I'd ask all of you if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions. Let's make it two or three. Also, if I can find somewhere to post the website or at least a screenshot of the page these will go on, I will. Also, let me know if you want me to credit/quote you or if you'd rather remain anonymous. Thanks in advance, even if no one replies.

1) Even though the restrictions on content vary in the three different world types (PG/Mature/Adult, I think it is), do you think the netiquette is still the same? That is, do you think people still use the same/similar language style and treat people the same way despite the age restrictions? (This doesn't include the RP or combat worlds)

2) Following up on the firsr question, for those who have been to the Mature and Adult worlds, do you think that people even use any netiquette there or is it "anything goes" when it comes to how people treat each other?

3) Are there any places in SL you avoid because of the netiquette rules there or lack thereof? No need to name them, just need to describe it. For example, I avoid Gor sims like the plague, because even OOC people tend to treat each other really horribly and show know respect for each other.

Thanks again in advance,

~ Kylee (long-time user, forum newbie)

1. yes i have visited all three areas and get treated the same although what you see on the screen is the same. work ethic still counts and still applies.

2. no respect is respect as i said the content is just in the inworld not in the chat in adult worlds you may see nude avatars but nobody will be rude or they get booted. profanity is allowed even in mature areas as well as adult but idk about pg.

3. i do tend to avoid sims but not for respect but for maybe not noticing me when i walk in or not greeting me. or just some sarcastic remark when im not in a good mood. but otherwise respect is a must and if the rule is broken and yes i have seen it broken. there are concequences.

thnx for the questions hope they help you can name me if you wish. have a great day :)

1.  Almost always, people act and talk the same in all three.  Naturally, one will encounter more adult activities in adult sims, but not more rudeness, with the exception of the occasional nude male newbie displaying a high state of arousal for all to see.  My house is on Zindra, the adult continent.  Nothing happens there that wouldn't be acceptable on mature land, but, on principle, I just don't like having restrictions on what I can do on my own land.

2. Most of the people I encounter in adult sims are usually polite and considerate, like the people in other sims.  I think griefers are less common on adult sims.

3.  None to which I've been.  I don't go to Gorean sims because I despise the whole Gorean idea of women being subservient to men.

1) in principle, yes. In reality, language in especially adult zones tends to be more explicit. But nettiquette has less to do with language than manners, and being polite and considerate is in my experience pretty much universal, even if the expression of it in the A and to a degree M zones may offend some (that's why especially the A zones are shielded after all).

2) see 1) while things may go on in especially the A zones that would violate any reasonable behavioural requirements for a PG zone, that doesn't mean there's no rules that people follow, they're just different rules and may well be as set and enforced as those of the PG zones.
For many activities in the A zones in fact a level of decency, trust, and understanding between the players is required that would be unheard of elsewhere (think d/s play, especially tpe).

3) If I find places where the interaction makes me uneasy, I tp out. So far that's not happened, though I have stumbled upon sims where the theme upset me enough I couldn't stay (either ended up there because of incorrectly reading the sim description or because it was not as described).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.