Terrain Texture changing automatically

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just started to add textures in my land and there is a strange issue.

I had set up the land to have sand as the lowest, 2 types of greens as  higher level 2 and 3 and rocky for the hills.

Everything was set up properly and in the beach are we had patches of green which were having the trees...but suddenly the green patch was disappearing and it was sand texture fully and the green patches popping up elsewhere....and the look of the terrain keeps changing mostly in each login...It is strange as no one works on it and still we see the land showing differently at different times.

It would be great if anyone can tell me why this is happening and how it can be solved.

Terrain textures are 'baked' in the same way your clothing layers are, using 4 layers that show/hide in intensity depending on the height of the land (usually sand > grass > gravel > rock). Land at the 'transition' between two layers, is usually randomly determined using a fairly basic algorithm (the 'seed' changes when you relog). This basically means that land in this transitional space will vary wildly between SL users. The solution is to adjust your terrain textures (if you're an estate manager), or adjust your terraforming to prevent this from being an issue.

Terrain texturing is more art than science.  Unlike texturing a prim, terrain textures are randomly mixed and blended for a more natural look.  Not only do they blend where two textures meet, but you'll see patches of one texture in the next texture.  This mix is organic and changes  when you log in, or the sim restarts.  There is nothing you can do to stop this. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.