Unclosable frozen viewer

KrofGninut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The frozen program can't be closed either from task manager or even by trying to kill the process directly; I have to shut down the whole computer to close the viewer program.

How can this be prevented? This from running viewer 3 on a laptop with the minimal possible graphics settings. It uses windows 7, an integrated graphics card and has a damaged power cord (which the OS tells me may hamper speed)

4 answers to this question

It *could* be the viewer crashes because the graphics card is not  up to the task of running SL, but somehow I don't think this is the problem... Which card do you have?

First. Replace your power cord. It is never a good idea to use partially faulty equipment with a computer. SL puts a lot of strain on the PC, and you should make absolutely sure every component works as intended.

I suggest you reinnstall the viewer completely. As well as removing the program itself, you need to remove other files somewhere in here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

Then download and install the latest viewer. You could also try one or more of the Third party viewers out there, which may work better on your PC.

- Luc -

• Like 2

found lucs' answer most unsatisfying as it didnt deal with dirtectly what to do. that is, how to close the unresponsive program.

i am having almost iderntical issue to the opriginal question. sistuation is this as i type. secondlife viewer 3, while loading as skin froze, and will not cose, it has been in this state for over an hour now, and task manager not helping in either ending tree, or dsimply ending process. i cant close as i have otrher important tasks running.

so, yes, maybe various things can be checked to maker sure they are up to date, and hardware may be replaced, BUT HOW DO I CLOSE THE FROZEN PRGRAM NOW?

am googling for decent answer for this issue and cvant find one short of simply rebooting/restarting your pc opr laptop.

programs failing to "kill" seems to be a particualry windows 7 and vaista issue. that is, where task manager wont terminate programs.

also a suggested programs downloadable from windows microsoft site, claims to help, ( see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx ) but in the case of a "hung" secondlife3 viewer, nonthing on this device will help.

almost all advice anywhere simply amounted to variations on doing what you would try with your windowsd task manager anyhow. whixh WONT WORK, which is the whole point of this thread.

so no useful answers above and beyonf REBOOT or RESRTART, with possible re-install of SL viewer 3.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.