Latest official Second Life viewer 3.2.8.2 Freezing

Deep Semaphore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am having very strange issues with the latest official Second Life viewer 3.2.8.2 

It is freezing after 5 mins or so, then comes back and freezes again .... then after getting a few normal windows 'application not responding' messages, I just have to close it manually.

Let me know if anyone else is experiencing this, or may be suggest a few things I can try.

Background iinfo: I normally used the official viewer running about 40 FPS on average with draw dist kept min, even had cache on a separate partition with no issues whatsoever. Wondering what is new in this latest build that is so disruptive.

Problem is that I have to train clients and I have taught them the UI for the latest SL official viewers.

Otherwise, I would have stuck to Firestorm ... which is giving me shadows at 40 FPS with no problems whatsoever, not even hanging etc... but the only issue is a different interface that I have to teach folks who do not want to be exposed to many things.

Thanks

I am running the latest official viewer:

Second Life 3.2.8 (248931) Feb 9 2012 09:04:17 (Second Life Release)
I have  had no problems with it -- ans stay inworld several hours at a time.  

I am running Win-7, 64 bit

The symtoms suggest a bad install.  Here are some suggstions I have collectefd.

Login fails? Lots of logouts? Summary 

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/12/kit-login-fails-lots-of-logouts-summary.html

I suggest trying a clean install first -- the instructions are in the article.

Don't rule out a heat issue. There is a bug in the latest viewer that causes it to use 100% of the CPU 100% of the time. That bug wasn't there in the previous versions. If your CPU fan is choked with dust I can see where the problem might not show up until this latest viewer runs for 5 minutes or so.

You should be able to download a stress test program that will quickly let you know if that is the problem or not.

Triple Peccable wrote:

You should be able to download a stress test program that will quickly let you know if that is the problem or not.

...or monitor the temperarures while running SL.

Download Speedfan

It's free, it's small, it's wise with a program like SL to run it. SL killed one of my graphics cards in the past and was on the way of killing its replacement when I found out the card was running far too hot. I'm sure there are other programs out there for free, this is just the one I use.

Thanks, Kwakkelde there is indeed a heating issue going on, and my CPU is maxed out too ... sticking to Firestorm for now, am almost glad the last official viewer sucked so bad. When I run Phoenix Firestrom in the v3 mode, I really enjoy things, am discovering for the fist time shadows with reasonable frame rates and I LOVE it. 

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.