Combat system

Tabris Daxter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a gridwide combat system based on the rules of Assassin & The Assassin's Creed

i have already modified existing weapon scripts to use sensors (will be changed to cast ray)  & particles instead of rezzed bullets.

now i have to work on the "guts" of the system, which will involve a mySQL DB, a php website and the in-world stuff.

enough background info.

the question is in my gun the sensor "fires" and then particles shoot at the target, then i need to find out if my target was a fellow player or an innocent (or a wall).

my current sensor line is:

llSensor("","",(ACTIVE|AGENT),96,PI/64); //weapon still in testing. 
//currently target shooting trying to narrow the sensor cone down

now is it faster to check against a database for the target or download a list of currently online players or

check with an in-world server with the above info.

TL : DR

is it faster to check with a web DB or "download" a list from the web DB or check with an inworld server.

I make combat systems, the way your suggesting seems a nightmare, don't matter if its a web or inworld server will take for ever in a combat situation, as you are a competitor I should not help you, but you should think a bit more out of the box, cos you don't need any webs or servers if you approach it from another angle, so if you don't use webs or servers how can you do it, that's what I think you should think about.

About combat makers, most other makers of combat systems did it because THEY wanted an advantage, they rigged it so they would do well, example, Karl the owner of nord was the most respected fighter in sl, he made the nord combat meter, after he left it was found to have a secret heal, so it turned out he made the meter so he appeared to be a top fighter, if you make meters then you must give up fighting or all will think you have done as Karl did, if I fight I only use DCS, I never fight in my own.

But all the ways you describe above will not work in a combat situation.

I'm not making it to be a competitor to ANY of the current combat systems out there.

I'm making it so that there can be a gridwide game of assassin or assassin rules (on google)

there is "technically" no combat. Damage is not done to either party.

Therefore no healing/damage tracking. It is one hit, one kill.

I just want to know what would be easier/ faster/ less resource intensive to check whether or not the person i just shot was a player or not.

1. check the key against a DB of players
  2. have a list downloaded on region change
  3. talk to an in-world server with the above info
  4. or llRegionSayTo() my target

Well you seemed to have answered it yourself, you didn't say that in the first post, web sites and inworld servers are ok for log on stuff, or setup stuff, but once the fighting starts they should be avoided and you should think about direct person to person connections as your last option suggest.

It is not possible to build a reliable gridwide system without an off-world web server. The key word in here is "reliable". Reliability is poor because an entirely in-world handshake between two objects located in different sims cannot be guaranteed. So you'll need a web server for anything gridwide anyways. the most efficient way to talk to the web server is of course a single query/response. Over 1 sec latency in response means that your php/sql code is bad. To decrease from 1 sec is really irrelevant in SL situation because an SL sim server itself is not a hard real-time machine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.