Uploading Rigged Eyes

Kira Zobel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a bundle of problems huh!  (I'm working on a super secret avatar update people have been wanting...shh...)

Anyways this creature has a longish neck.  I want the eyes to move in the head's socket and not the human avatar's.

I kind of skipped past this when playing with skinning the head and neck itself without moving the bones, but for the eyes it seems I have to.  I moved them up, rigged an eyeball to each eye joint...upload and nope.  No weights it's all greyed out.

How do I go about this oh masters of the mesh?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! :)

If you check the weights of the standard AV's eyes, you will notice that it doesn't have any to begin with. Subsequently, any weights you copy from them will simply not work inworld. For a workaround, you could use joint offsets to have the eyes where you want them, then use the "left/ right eyeball" attachment points inworld.

Have fun!

In our Rig the eyes are weighted against the mEyeRight and mEyeLeft bones (with all mesh weights=1.0). Since the weight maps are directly taken from what the SL viewer uses i believe they are indeed weighted. Furthermore non weighted vertices would result in an error message from the viewer.

If you want to reposition the eyes to a different location, then it should be sufficient to move the eye bones joints. and export the eyeBall meshes along with the character mesh and the armature. This worked for me in all cases. However it may well be possible that the eyeballs show up at "wrong" locations when the mesh is rezzed on ground. But when worn the eyes pop into the correct locations:

• weight eyeballs to 1.0 agains the mEyeRight/Left
  • move the eye bones according to your mesh
  • export the mesh, ther armature AND the eyeballs (your own or the eyes from the standard character) and ensure that the eyeBalls contain the 21 essentiual bone weight groups (even if all are empty except the mEyeRight/mEyeleft weight groups)
  • import with mesh weights AND joint positions
  • rezzing on ground may have a problem
  • wearing should work perfectly. (even the automatic eye animation should do).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.