Blender Tip - Removing Orphaned Edges

Fenix Eldritch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While stumbling through creating a mesh object today, I discovered I had a number of overlapping edges that did not form any faces.  It was difficult to select the correct edge for deleting... But after a bit of experimentation, I found a quick way to isolate them.

1. In blender, go to edit mode and enable Face Select mode.
  2. Select all faces with "A"
  3. Hide all faces with "H"
  4. enable Edge Select mode
  5. Select all again... hopefully you will see any orphaned edges highlighted.

• Like 1

Porky Gorky wrote:

Anyone know how to achieve the same result in 3DS Max?

As far as I know 3ds max doesn't understand isolated edges, that would make sense since an edge means there's more (can't have an edge without a face). You can have isolated vertices though. You can remove them in the modifier menu, under "Edit Geometry", "Remove Isolated Vertices". Make sure the object is an "Editable Mesh" or has the "Edit Mesh" modifier applied to it.

You can also turn on "Vertex Ticks" under "Object Properties"(right click the object) to find them by hand.

• 10 months later...

In 3dsMax you rarely ever want to use Editable Mesh, ALWAYS use Editable Poly while modeling it then converte to mesh before exporting it to a game. Editable Mesh is a legacy tool for modeling in max and should be avoided. To remove edges in max under editable poly you have an option to remove isolated edges and isolated verts. If you wish to remove an edge and not delete the face creating an "ngon" you can press backspace wich is the same as pressing Remove. However that leaves behind verts, if you want to get the verts and the edges press ctrl+backspace. This is great for making lower LoD models from the highest without screweing up the UV map.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.