Sculpts which won't hold their texture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all clever people...I'd like suggestions about why this might be happening in this situation. I built my own home, about 6 months ago. It is partly normal prims, partly my own sculpts. The last thing I added was a window seat base...a sculpt. I visit my home almost daily. Every several days, this one prim will not load. On these occasions, everything in the home looks as it should, but this one window seat appears only as a sphere, and will not change.

Unloaded sculpt maps appear as wedges of flat shapes until they load. That's when I know they just need more time to load. This prim however is just a ball, and when I edit it, and select the sculpt map, it leads to a dead end in my inventory. It's not temporary, as I've reuploaded it several times. Each time this happens, I search for the sculpt map in my inventory by name, find it, and reapply it to the prim, and then it pops into shape. Until 2 or so days later.

This might be coincidence, but this did happen to the base of my stairs (another sculpt I made myself). I can't remember it happening recently. Did the problem swap to the most recently uploaded sculpt map? Is this coincinence? The stair base may well have been the most recent addition until the window seat came along, but I can't swear by that.

Pie to any nice people who can help :)

I have seen this kind of thing before.

If you can do so, I suggest exporting the sculpt data, editing it superficially, and reloading it.

Depending on how the thing is being used, you might just rotate it 180 degrees or double the number of pixels on both axes, or something like that. Anything that will allow at least you to see that it has definitely been edited.

You might also start with a fresh sculpt prim shaped like an apple, rather than trying to get the existing one to sculpt itself.

I know that's not how these things are supposed to work.

But, sometimes, at least, this is how they DO work.

Did you clear cache from your viewer or did you really clear it? You can clear your cache by hand. I'd suggest removing your viewer first, then removing all Secondlife folders (also from the application data and local settings, this will get rid of any leftovers, but also your settings).

If re-uploading doesn't work something strange is going on for sure, you could contact support...

Josh, I did as you said...exported as a png, removed the alpha channel, just to alter it, as you suggested, brought it back as a tga....I'm still waiting to see what happens...so far so good. I'm eyeballing it---daring it to lose shape, haha!

oops sorry Kwakk- I didn't mean to be so rude and forget you---passing you a fresh slice of pie as well :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.