Anti Alias = Blur ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I need some help understanding the workings of the V2 beast as I am trying to get optimal graphic settings to take pictures.

A few observations;

1. When I turn on AA in SL itself it seems the 'further end in depth of field ' ( top 50% of the screen for example) suddenly has a light but ever so annoying blur. Any idea how this can be removed?

2. With all hardware settings set to 0 / off in preferences I noticed that SL V2 viewer seems to ignore the graphic driver (NVidia panel)  settings, in particular regarding AA. Is this expected behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Running on a 4 gig quad core and a 460 GTX

Any help is much appreciated:matte-motes-big-grin:

Caitlyn Dyszel wrote:

Hi everyone,

I need some help understanding the workings of the V2 beast as I am trying to get optimal graphic settings to take pictures.

A few observations;

1. When I turn on AA in SL itself it seems the 'further end in depth of field ' ( top 50% of the screen for example) suddenly has a light but ever so annoying blur. Any idea how this can be removed?

2. With all hardware settings set to 0 / off in preferences I noticed that SL V2 viewer seems to ignore the graphic driver (NVidia panel)  settings, in particular regarding AA. Is this expected behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Running on a 4 gig quad core and a 460 GTX

Any help is much appreciated:matte-motes-big-grin:

Do you have depth-of-field (DOF) turned on? Depth-of-field would intentionally blur distant objects to simulate how a cameral lens focuses. As far as hardware settings and the video card goes, have you set your Nvidia preferences to use software settings or to override them? I think this is where you determine whether the Nvidia settings are used instead of the viewer settings. When you turn AA off and the Nvidia driver is using software settings, that'll mean you won't get anti-ailiasing even if your card normally gives you it.

Hi Theresa thanks for taking the time to respond :)

DoF is turned off, as you pointed out,  it does an even worse job of blurring the majority of the screen.

Regarding the Nvidia settings, i have created a profile for the SL viewer where by all graphics control is taking away from the application and given into the care of the nVidia panel/driver. SL seems to ignore this though, merrily going it's own way. I am wondering if that override stuff does not work with OpenGL applications.

the viewer gfx pipeline for nvidia 400 series and up in a state of flux at the moment bc nvidia made a lot of changes to their gfx drivers for those cards. linden been working hard on making fixes to the viewer to compensate. some the changes already thru to the latest official viewer release. some still to come

can try a latest linden dev build and see how it plays on ur computer.  tpvs like niran and exodus already contain most of the pending fixes. they not been thru the linden QA tho so not in official linden viewer release yet

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, nice to see the SL community is a helpful one.

Regarding the technical problems i am experiencing; I have been doing some reading online and find wildly contradicting tid bits of information. Some resources claiming the nVidia panel never worked, others blaming SL's OpenGL architecture yet others saying I am doing it all wrong ( I tend to believe them :P )  

Perhaps I should have mentioned I am already using the Beta client from LL , although I ran into similar issues with their release candidate. Now the odd thing, using Firestorm the blurryness does not seem to happen! :/ I think I will spent some more time trying to see if I have different settings in FS compared to LL's client.

Once again, thank you all, you have pointed me in a number of directions and it was worth the 'adventure'

Unsure of the technical reasoning and scientific shenanigans of said issue, but I did notice not only in V2/3 viewers, but in V1 viewers as well on both ATI and Nvidia cards the higher AAx you go the more everything blurs.

2x seems fine 4x, slight blur, 4xs and 8x forget it. First time I put it on 8x, I was like "oh noes... my eyes.. wait, that's just SL.."

But after reading this little wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

it's possable to assume that the way SL draws, renders and stores/reads objects that high AA has difficulty reconstructing objects.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.