Empty spaces in a Torus? (Maya Autodesk)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I paged through several tutorials, but all are related to Blender and not to Maya...

Well ... how to explain?...

I'm using a torus for a necklace, but the rear end is open... 

collar.png

Ok... from what I understood in these tutorials, a line of several vertices with a distance of 0, should leave an empty space between them ... (or so I think).

But... when imported into SL ...

Snapshot_001.png

The line does not disappear completely.

Just... why?

As I mentioned in your other thread, the sculpty exporter for Maya was designed for NURBS, not polygons.  It uses ray sampling to determine the surface shape.  It gets confused by polygons, very easily. 

If you're hellbent on using polygons, there are things you can do to fool the exporter into cooperating, but those things are time consuming,  and make the work really tedious and annoying.  You'd be much better off just making a proper mesh model, and importing it to SL as such.  (Seriously, you could create that neckalce in under two minutes, and with 1/10 the poly count, if it's an ordinary mesh model instead of a sculpty.)

If you are using NURBS, and you want sharp edges, you need to move three isoparms into exactly the same position for each edge.  So, you'll need a total of six isomarms at each of the two ends of that necklace.

I do not know why, but I never have come to like NURBS, I'm used to using polygons...
As for the mesh ... well, it's a good idea, but give me so many problems when importing.

Especially rigged, I do not know what strange reason always deform at some point.

Ok, I will continue tinkering and see if I get it ... if not ... no choice but to use a NURBS. >.<

Once you get the hang of NURBS modeling, you'll find it's easier than poly modeling in some ways, but harder in others.  Overall, it's about the same.  Like any medium, it's got its own unique quirks, and it just takes a little time and practice to become familiar with best practices.

By the way, I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to mention this earlier, but that neckace of yours could be better made from a cylinder or sphere than from a torus.  There's no need to waste polygons, or waste texture space, by pinching off the empty section.  You'd be better off just not having that section exist in the first place.

Regarding your import problems with mesh, what exactly happened?  No doubt whatever went wrong was somthing simple we can solve without too much trouble.  SL's mesh uploader works pretty flawlessly, as long as you're feeding it the right information.

Well, 1 of 3 times, crashes during step 2 (Physics), or in calculate weight & fee.
If not crashes, the mesh won't see well in the viewer 3 preview but yes in others. (Any failure by empty spaces, maybe)

If I can import the mesh, and it is rigged, is not well situated with respect to the avatar, and I have no idea how to edit (mea culpa).

I fear that with the mesh, I have a lot to learn, especially about editing in SL.

Nobody is born knowing, and I will not give up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.