Alpha layer body-part mask rendering issue with SL Viewer on a Mac

Serenek Timeless

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4516 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Whenever I use the SL viewer on my Mac the alpha-masks for individual body parts erase my entire body and not just the body part they are intended to mask.  For example, the standard feet alpha mask that's in all of our Libraries and which are increasingly common for women's shoes, renders my entire body invisible.  These things all work find if I use the latest Phoenix Mesh Viewer or Firestorm.  Is there some setting I can change to eliminate this problem?

6 answers to this question

Serenek Timeless wrote:

These things all work find if I use the latest Phoenix Mesh Viewer or Firestorm.  Is there some setting I can change to eliminate this problem?

You say they work fine with Phoenix and Firestorm but you didn't mention which version the SL viewer you are using.  It would need to be V2 or later and not any V1 versions.

It sounds like the texture isn't loading.  An alpha mask is just an image and it needs to load like any other image.  If it cannot call up this image, you may want to clear your cache, (both network and inventory) and try again.

A simple rebake sometimes helps as well but I assume you have already done this.

Chelsea is probably right about the alpha layer texture not loading. Clearring the cache is a drastic step, but it may fix the problem.

You may also be able to fix the problem by changing your active group. That often forces avatar textures to complete downloading. It is an old trick.

Also, change shoes. Change to another brand. Most brands have their own alpha layer texture. The other texture may download.

You can also get the Beta viewer and try it. The Lab is making lots of changes to the render engine to fix OpenGL campatibility issues. 

Also, get your video card model and search this forum and SLUniverse's forum for your card. See if others are having driver problems and how they are solving the problem. If you can't find anything, make sure you are using the latest driver for your card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4516 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.