LSL tools to get mesh LOD sizes to calculate the Download Cost

LindaB Helendale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made LSL script to measure the mesh size needed  in Land Impact calculation, available here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:LindaB_Helendale/getMeshLODsize , with also code to calculate the streaming cost for given radius. Mainly it is just nice to know thing, to see exactly how the streaming/download cost is calculated, but the script may have more serious use in optimizing the land impact.

The streaming/download cost is based on the size of the mesh in bytes on each LOD. The format is in wiki (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Mesh_Asset_Format) but the actual size of the mesh asset is not available (and as the data is gzipped it's not directly predictable from the number of vertices/triangles/etc.)

There was a thread about making a plug-in to predict the land impact (http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Land-Impact-Estimate-in-Blender-via-addon-scripts/m-p/1204967/highlight/true#M8664) and these tools could be used to either make some kind of statistical predictor or if someone would decipher the asset size from the asset format, to check the results.

• Like 2

Very useful and interesting. Thanks.

One thing puzzles me - wht don't we see the scale changes in the client? Either the server (where the script runs) or the client must be dropping out the updates that are rapidly reverted? Or does the client do them so fast that they can't be seen? Seems to me it must be ther server not sending them. Otherwise there would surely occasionally be network delays long enough to see a change?

Drongle McMahon wrote:

One thing puzzles me - wht don't we see the scale changes in the client? Either the server (where the script runs) or the client must be dropping out the updates that are rapidly reverted? Or does the client do them so fast that they can't be seen? Seems to me it must be ther server not sending them. Otherwise there would surely occasionally be network delays long enough to see a change?

I see a rapid flash of the 40m mesh, it may depend on the client settings and network.

I found it unexpected that the land impact numbers can be requested right after llSetScale with no delay while the editor / more info display has  several second delay until it shows the numbers.

Yes. I don't envy in the least hose poor souls who have to deal with all the priority and scheduling tasks that must go on in the server. I wonder if anyone understands all of it. I was using your script on an empty region on Aditi. Perhaps that's why it was so fast. Still, as you say, the requests for the More Info still take forever. Maybe that's the physics weight's fault.

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.