Graphics card issue

Vyrukas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am experiencing an issue when I atempt to start SL Viewer.

"Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstallin them."

Processor: Intel® Pentium® CPU B940 @ 2.00 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Hard drive: 455 GB
1366x768
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics Family

I don't know if this is enough information to gain some help from someone, so let me know if it isn't.
I just need to know if there is a way around this.
I played SL a few years back, and I'd like to get back into it.
New laptop, though. New stuff for the game, too, I suppose.
If the only way around this is to get a new graphics card, then that sucks, but I'd like to know, either way.

Intel HD Graphics 2000

The Intel HD Graphics 2000 (or Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD 2000 or GMA HD 2000) is an integrated graphics card in the Sandy Bridge codenamed processors. It will most likely be included in slower mobile processors (Pentium brand e.g.) and is currently integrated in most desktop processors. The HD Graphics 2000 has no dedicated memory but shares the fast Level 3 Cache with the CPU cores and also part of the main memory. Due to Turbo Boost, the GPU can be overclocked depending on the current CPU load and power consumption. The GMA HD 2000 offers only half of the 12 Execution Units (EUs) of the Intel GMA HD 3000.

Because of the halfed amount of shaders, the gaming performance is only compareable to the old Intel GMA HD (in the Arrandale CPUs). Our tests with a desktop i5-2400 showed a performance level of a Geforce G 105M e.g. which is slightly faster. Therefore, only low demanding games like Sims 3 or World of Warcraft can be played in low detail settings fluently.

In addition to the GPU, the chip also houses some dedicated units for decoding and encoding HD videos. On the IDF Intel demonstrated the encoding of a 3 minute long 1080p video to an iPhone compatible format in 640x360 in only 14s. Another novelty of the Sandy Bridge GPU is the embedded DisplayPort eDP to connect internal Displays.

Due to the integration in the 32nm built CPU and the halfed amount of shaders, the power consumption of the GPU should be quite low and also suited for small and light laptops.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-2000-100.37994.0.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't be sure with just "Intel HD Graphics Family" to go on but with the CPU you gave as your processor, the HD 2000 graphics is the most likely choice.  It's a pretty low performing graphics adapter and not suited for the heavy duty 3D graphics SL demands.  I don't think you will be able to get it to work but maybe a driver update will prove me wrong.......good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.