movement and Picking items up

seleena Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am using my Dell i5 inspirion laptop and SL has been acting strange. Movement is moments after I try to move, and at times, I keep walking into the blue beyond. I always use a laptop with SL, never had this issue with them. Any ideas? I did the ping test, it runs at 18 ms, 1ms jitter and 0 packet loss.  I have set the preferences to the lowest I have ever used on SL, meaning all the way down, lowered hz, raised cache, nothing has helped.

2 answers to this question

'Rubber banding' lag - your avatar takes a long time to start moving, keeps moving after you've released the key, 'bounces' back to an earlier position.

That almost certainly means one of two things; i) graphics settings too high (just change them to 'low' in preferences to test) or, more likely, ii) bad internet connection.  Check this by opening the advanced menu and then the statistics window (ctrl-shift-1).  Ping should be <500ms, packet-loss <3%, preferably 0%.  If they are higher than that your internet is the problem.  Use a wired connection to your router/modem and avoid mobile broadband if possible.  As everything in SL is resident-created it is not pre-installed as it is in games.  In SL it all has to be downloaded and cached before it can be rendered (drawn on screen).

• Like 1

Peter is right, although I would say it is not because of to demanding graphics settings. If this was the case you would experience low framerates and issues with textures not rezzing properly to mention two things. 

The problem here is almost certainly a connection, or network, issue. If what Peter is suggesting does not help or turn up any issues - try http://www.pingtest.net/ to check your internet connection - between your modem/router and LLs servers. 

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.