Search Relevancy is a Mess and will cost you dearly!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh.....just one thing I do that others might find useful too...whenever I have a chance to display a link to my Marketplace store, I make it a "newest first" link, rather than the plain ol' general storefront. Or to a specific product if that's relevant.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Nothing I said requires correction, and nothing you said corrects that in any way.

I did not say why it was dropped, merely that it was.

But to address the tangent you raised, please do find me evidence of "many" merchants warning of the technical difficulties of that process; I followed the debate as well as anyone and do not recall that being a major argument used at all.

You followed it....  I was the #1 flag bearer's against LL's idea of imposing a Clutter Tax as a means to get rid of cheap / free listings and listings from delinquent SLM Merchants.  I am sure for this issue alone Pink despised me as I was vocally against it until the day that her team had to finally admit defeat 7 months later.

But... regardless, dont promote Pink's idea of a Clutter Tax as the solution to get rid of cheap/free listings.  It was not and still is not the right answer to your belief that cheap / free listings in themselves is the problem for horrid SEARCH in SLM.

The problem behind horrid SLM search is LL's inability to provide effective search by Query Relevence.  PERIOD.

Sigh.

So you can't back up your claims with any facts and just want to change the subject and deliberately misrepresent what I said in the process.

Just more hot air.

Back what claims Zanara?  That cheap / free items are not the root cause to the Search issue on SLM?

Simple... SL Marketplace has how many listing now?  1.4 million?  Who knows what percentage of these listings make up these evil dreaded free / cheap listings that all of you are complaining about that are cluttering up a customers search for your premium product.  Lets even say its 50%.

Who Cares....  how big is the global Internet?  What percent of the global Internet is made of of NON RELEVENT content of cheap, bogus, fake, misleading, competing websites to the content / website that you are searching for when you Google for something? 

And... do you succeed in finding what you were looking for with Google Search with all this non-relevent potential content?  Why do you find what you want on a scale of content that makes SL Marketplace look like a drop in the ocean?

Because unlike LL's deployment of SL Marketplace Search which has a totally ineffective search, the global search engines like Google have deployed effect RELEVENT QUERY Search algorithms which provides result relevent to the query.  SL Marketplace basic search by query relevence does not do this.  As a result, the free and cheap listings get posted near the top because LL have over manipulated their search engine with some silly intent that has poor results.

A good effective search engine should not find all these free cheap listings to be an issue. and... a listing is a listing if they listing's content best meets the query by the customer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.