New Land Impacts actually improved an old prim build!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Back in 2007 I made this vehicle which was just over the 31 physical limit. I tried as much as possible to reduce the prim count but I just couldn't get it to below the cutoff point. I really wasn't content to use the workaround where you wear the high-prim "vehicle" and ride a low prim invisible counterpart, but at the time I saw no other way.

Sculpts were a possibility, but I wasn't very good at them either. Ultimately I just kept working on the prim build to get it to look nice. Final prim count was around the mid 40's

Flash forward to yesterday when I pulled the vehicle out again to make some updates (still 100% legacy prims). I noticed that the physics cost for the 40+ prim object was around 18. Out of curiosity I switched the object to use the new resource accounting method. The Land impact added a few extra prims (now in the mid 50's) but the physics cost was still 18. I could now turn this object physical!

I thought it would be nice to hear how the new accounting system actually helped an old prim build.

Yes, that is one of the major advantages of the new accounting system. You can even turn individual prims in a linkset to a physics type of "none", and as long as you don't do that to the root prim, the whole thing can be physical and the "none" prims don't count against the physical limits, because they are exempted from the calculations. With the new accounting, I believe the limit on a physical vehicle is a PE /Land Impact of 64.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.