Mesh avatar rigging problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

I'm having a problem rigging my mesh AV, for some reason the joints get all twisted after upload.

I used the avatar.blend file as a base and am using Blender 2.59, but have also tried 2.60, 2,58 and 2.57, starting from scratch each time, in the hopes that it would export properly in one of those, but all give the same results. I've even started from scratch in 2.49b, but during upload the "Include Skin Weight" button is alwys grey and can't be clicked.

I've followed the tutorials completely and have looked at every post I can find on the issue, but nothing seems to help and now I'm out of ideas.

I've heard this used to be an issue back at the beginning of SL Mesh, but I've yet to find any post saying how it was resolved. Please any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, I've been hitting my head against this for 4 days and it's beginning to send me a little loopy :p

Edit: I've just managed to get a rigged mesh into SL using Blender 2.49b, but I only managed it by using "Create from envelopes" instead of "Don't create groups" when parenting the mesh to the armature. This produces an AV that has the right joint rotations and all the parts are where they're ment to be, but they bend in less that ideal ways.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

If you are going to use a current version of Blender for rigging. you need to use Blender 2.59. Those others won't work. If you need to also use joint offsets, you'll need to use Blender 2.49.

If you are going to use automatic weighting, you should pick "Bone Heat" in Blender 2.49 not "Envelopes". if you are using "Don't Create Groups", you have to either place weights in the mesh manually or use the "bone weight copy" script.

Here's a playlist that goes through the process of rigging an item for SL using Blender: http://www.youtube.com/user/ashasekayi#grid/user/11D6E99BB51A2BB2

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Ashasekayi :)

I've actually managed to get a rigged mesh into SL using 2.49b and copy bone weights, any other version and I still have problems. But that's ok as I was planning on using joint offsets at some point anyway.

I've read so many of your posts and watched all the vids, I just wanted to say you are awesome for all the help you've given people! Thanks again :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.