TPVs should be more obvious on the SL download site

Eric Castanea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't imagine any new users are having a good first experience on LL's viewer with average hardware. Seriously.  I know the hardware nazis with $500 graphics card will disagree, but it's obvious that somehow new people need a better introduction to Second Life.

They need to have alternate viewers more readily available, so they can see the potential of sl immediately, not have to struggle with a poor performing, unstable viewer.

Flame away. 

Eric Castanea wrote:

I can't imagine any new users are having a good first experience on LL's viewer with average hardware. Seriously.  I know the hardware nazis with $500 graphics card will disagree, but it's obvious that somehow new people need a better introduction to Second Life.

They need to have alternate viewers more readily available, so they can see the potential of sl immediately, not have to struggle with a poor performing, unstable viewer.

Flame away. 

I don't have a Graphics Card for $500 (far from it even), and SL works quite fine for me :)

And i seriously doubt that if i would use, let's say Phoenix, i am able to experience the full "potential" of SL :matte-motes-wink-tongue: 

Too much features are still missing on a lot of the TPV's!!

Well the truth be told, you should be happy the lindens even allow posting TPV's on there  site.

There is a point where  people will have to upgrade. I swear next  there will have to be a TVP that  veiws sl in wireframe,1 step up from text veiwers so we can  keep every one in sl :P

Eric Castanea wrote:

No, it's more like there is an LL fan club. And it's defacing the holy grail by criticizing anything LL.

It's why I don't post here much. Enjoy your sl.

Well, this "LL Fan" also uses a TPV (Dolphin 3), not solely but as an alternative.

But it seems we are dealing with a member of the Phoenix/Firestorm Fanclub here, and by not recognizing the utter greatness of these, we're not worthy of your attention! 

Let's see... I have a $600 Mac mini and using SL viewer 3.2, I get acceptable frame rates. For the sparse sims, I get really good frame rates. Oh, that price is for the entire computer... including the in-built AMD graphics chipset. However, I prefer to use Firestorm as I get really good frame rates... when it's not crashing around me.  ;)

Does Linden Labs need a more prominent position to let users know about TPVs? Does Apple give prominent positions on their web site for alternative web browsers? Same question for Google and Microsoft... do they give prominent positions for the other browsers other than their own?

It is a valid comparison, considering the purpose of a web browser is to view the contents of a very open and public system of internets. On the other hand, Linden Labs created a private virtual world and created a viewer so we could have a portal into that private world. By rights they didn't have to make the software that runs their world open source... they did it anyway.

Through the open sourcing of both their server and viewer software, Linden Labs made it possible to let others create not only alternative viewers for Second Life, but alternative grids to use their viewers on. Some made grids... other made viewers... and they all play nicely together... mostly.

In my view, Linden Labs has done plenty to make TPVs possible and I don't feel they need to take the extra step to help promote the existence of other, arguably better (in some peoples' minds) TPVs. It's actually quite interesting that they have wiki space devoted to TPVs along with their published policies on what makes a TPV acceptable for use in SL.

Noobs coming in to SL will, if they find the virtual world interesting enough to stick around, figure out about the existence of TPVs. They'll hear and see the chatter inworld about their existence, maybe becoming curious enough to seek out more info via the SL wikis... the SL fora... the SL Jira... run general internet searches. They will find out for themselves.

And no... I'm not a member of the LL fan club. In fact, over the past two or three weeks, I've been ranting inworld about how their seemingly arbitrary decisions regarding server upgrade scheduling as left not only users/consumers but sim owners/managers fuming at them. Much of the slow responses and lagginess that everyone's experienced over the past couple of weeks could be attributed to that, and every time my avi cannot walk or fly, or I enter a PG sim without any clothing because it didn't rezz... I think awful thoughts... really... awful... thoughts.

But giving credit where it's due, LL has done quite enough in promoting TPVs already.

Oh... there is a link on the download page that takes one to the Second Life Wiki page for alternative viewers. It's right there... printed in green text... under the heading... "More Viewers". It's pretty obvious to me.

forget all that and just remember that TPV's were more prominent on the download page until some idiot burned up the good faith LL had provided by including code that caused that TPV to act as a DDOS on the site of someone they had a problem with.

do you really think LL want's to add to their liability?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.