Updater never works. Ever. Period.

Chimerix Alchemi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Am I the only one who has this experience?  Ever since the launch of the version 2 viewer, the auto updater has not worked once.  I consistently get a message that "The updater has experienced an error.  Please download the latest viewer from..." message. 

What's the point of an auto updater that has not once, in... I;ve lost count, how many updates now since 2.0 became mandatory?... ever functioned properly.

Mac, btw.  OS 10.5.8.  2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

I have checked the Second Life JIRA (bug reporting tool) and can't find anything that really matches this.  I would suggest a complete uninstallation of Second Life from your machine, and then a reinstallation - for details of how to do this see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_do_I_fully_uninstall_and_reinstall_Second_Life.  If this does not work then I suggest you raise it as an issue in the Second Life JIRA.

I may resort to the complete uninstall, but it's not so much a problem as an annoyance.  If the auto-updater didn't bother telling me it had failed, I'd never be the wiser.  I have noticed that, despite it failing, and despite me not feeling like downloading the latest version, I've been online regardless. 

I suppose eventually it will refuse to let me log in, and I'll have to take the time to DL the viewer and install it anew.  Til then, meh.  Just another lovely example of a foolproof system not taking me into account.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.