Stupid question

Strophanthus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've made a few things, and I am now working on hats. I was wondering how to make little "addons" for it? Say I wanted a ribbon on it, or maybe a skull, or a spider? How would one go about making those things and adding it to the hat? :x I see them all of the time on hats, belts, shoes, etc.

Was wondering if anyone could help. :(

Decorations for the hats can be made from sculpted prims and linked to the hat.  You can find sculpt maps to make sculpted prims  for all the things you mentioned either in world at various shops or on the marketplace. 

Alternatively if you have building skills these items can be made with prims.  It may take a lot of prims to make something like a flower or skull.  However unless you are highly skilled at building, generally sculpted prims look more 'real' and your hats will look better.

Strophanthus wrote:

I've made a few things, and I am now working on hats. I was wondering how to make little "addons" for it? Say I wanted a ribbon on it, or maybe a skull, or a spider? How would one go about making those things and adding it to the hat?
:x
I see them all of the time on hats, belts, shoes, etc.

Was wondering if anyone could help.
:(

Hey Stroph,Stro?, (not sure what short form you prefer)

Basically, the addons will be made the same way you built other things, but smaller, then linked to the hat. I'm not sure how much you've played around with all the tabs and features in build, but things like flexi (for the ribbon), glow, texture tweaks, etc. will be usefull.

Since a lot of the trims will be small, there are also some jewelry techniques that come in handy.  Places like NCI, tthe Ivory Tower of Prims and Builder's Brewery (don't have slurls handy right now, but those three will come up in search) have tutorials and classes (free). Also check the items in your inventory library. They've added some really nice items, including hats, that you can play around with and learn from.

I've taken a lot of the classes at NCI, but only recently really started getting into building & a hat was actually the first thing I've finished that I liked. I'm still a beginner myself, but I'd be happy to help you if you'd like to IM me inworld.

It sounds like you are beginning to learn, though, and that's excellent. Definately attend any of the free building classes around, as you will find that even very general building skills will come in handy down the track. Also, pull apart any free full-perms stuff you can, just to see how others have done it.

I assume you have a hat now, and it attaches to your head? There are a few attachment points you can use (skull, mouth,nose,etc), depending on whether you want the hat to sit on top of your hair, or replace it.

Play about with prims, and make other simple shapes to add. When you have them in place and want to link them, be careful to select all, then deselect and then reselect the hat itself. This will mean that the original parent prim will not change, and the hat will still fit as you intended when you wear it.

Good luck, and have fun!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.