My viewer wont run when it did just fine before

wolf24681488303198

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

You can turn DEP completely off. If that does it then it's DEP that is preventing your viewer from launching.......which settles the why. You might have to log in as administrator to turn it off..........and that is probably why you can't allow your viewer to run with DEP enabled. DEP is a pain......mine is disabled.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner........real life you know (whatever that means :) ).

Are you, by any chance, running Norton (Semantic) Security Suite or McAfee Security Suite? Both those security suites have a history of being very restrictive and play heck with SL with some of the settings the suites default to. Even disabling them doesn't completely remove some of their restrictions.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out why your viewer won't launch so if you are not running Norton or McAfee I'm going to suggest that you uninstall your viewer once again. If you have more than one viewer uninstall those too. Then, before you reinstall do a complete search of your computer for any file or folder related to SL and manually delete those files/folders..........leave nothing related to SL at all. Then get a fresh download of the viewer you want to use (don't use a download you used earlier because it could be corrupted). Save the setup to your computer........do not run from the website. I know you've done this before.......but humor me. :)

And LL never before upgraded the server code to include mesh. The server code, whether or not your viewer can utililize the code, is still there......your computer sees it when it comes to it. The computer has to decide if it's going to do anything with it or not........that takes time (very minute time but time none the less). It also means your network has to pass that extra data along........again time. Wireless connections and SL have never been great.......actually, mostly not at all good. Just because it worked before does not mean it's going to work now (there have been some rather large changes to the server code).

What I'm wondering now is that you said you are a student. I assume you are a college or university student. Are you in a dormatory using the university's network? I hope not because it may be your network administrator has decided to block SL (or SL type programs) from the network........it's a common thing for schools, businesses, and public wifi providers to block heavy bandwidth programs like SL. If you are on your own network then maybe rebooting your router will help. Unplug both your router and modem from their electrical source and leave unplugged for 3 to 5 minutes before plugging back in. When the light settle to their normal blicking routine restart your computer and try SL again.

I'm not really grasping but as you tell me more about your system and network more things come to mind. That's why it's important for specs (a pet peeve of mine and I know I sound like a broken record :) )

I have not much more to add to this thread, but I'm looking in. Peggy has some great commonsense ideas going on here, and I did wonder myself about where you were trying to access SL from, after you mentioned you're a student.

Also, while I was afk I thought there was possibility SL was no longer running because of a Windows Update being added to your system, but I dismissed that idea, because your problem began before you reinstalled windows and still have the same issue.

Are you sure you have uninstalled everything SL-related absolutely and totally before reinstalling just one of the viewers? I was going to ask about RAM, but just re-read the rest of the thread and see you should have tons to run SL with.

A router should not cause a program to shut down but the viewer checks in with the servers on launch and the servers in turn query your system hardware (that's where those specs come from under the "Help" menu). The viewer could shut down if it can't check in..........but that would be unsual.

I've been thinking of something I think you said earlier and was about to go back and look but since you are here I'll ask instead. I think you said you had and i5 Intel CPU with HD graphics..........is that right? If so that graphics is on the CPU chip (intregrated). The on CPU chipset is unique in that it has graphics switching capabilities to save power on laptops. It won't switch if it's the only graphics the computer has but you said you have an nVidia 310M. What I'm thinking is that the HD chip is not switching to your discrete 310M card. I'm sure there's a way to disable the HD graphics in your computer setup to force the computer to use the 310M all the time. That would possibly shut the application down and might be why, after reinstalling your OS, you can't get the viewer to even launch. Did you check that?

Is there any way to disable the HD graphics to force your computer to use the discrete 310M? I can't imagine you cannot do that. Maybe if you use the AC adapter instead of battery it will use the higher powered graphics. I know next to nothing about laptops and have only read about the on CPU graphics like what the i3's, i5's and i7's use for laptops..........I'm as ignorant as they come on that.

The reason I'm asking is that, though I thought you couldn't launch after the reinstallation (I didn't know about the crash before), the setting would change. But the question is still there because a crash could also reset a setting.

Good morning Wolf..........it seems we are old friends by now. :)

"No dice" means? Is it not possible to set your graphics to run on the 310 card? Or you did set it to run on the 310 and it didn't work?

I guess I need to tell you want I'm thinking now. I've just about exhausted all I can think of as far as settings are concerned. I admit that I probably haven't thought of all the possible setups that could be what's causing your problem. At first I thought your problem was simply crashing after some period of time (which you tried reinstalling your Win 7 to overcome). Since that didn't work and the way you discribed your problem I thought your problem might be an overheating issue and your video card would be the most likely device to overheat using SL. Then I find out that since you reinstalled your operating system you cannot get your viewer to launch and you don't know if you would crash after a period of time like before. That put my thinking to some setting that was changed when you reinstalled Win 7 (that is not all uncommon). Then you tell me that after you reinstalled Win 7 that you were able to log in but after a few hours you crashed.........and now can't get the viewer to launch. That's my summary of what happened to get you to where you are now.

That crash after a "few hours" is bothering me. It leads me back to overheating. I don't know if the HD graphics on your CPU would be able to run SL (there are several HD graphics that are available for the i5 CPU.........some are better than others). If the HD graphics won't run SL and, for whatever reason, your computer is not switching to the 310M you might see your viewer simply shut down (I would expect an error message but sometimes some systems just don't throw the messages when they shut down a program). I can't think of a way to isolate what graphics your computer is trying to use when you launch the viewer (it should automatically switch to the 310M when the program needs the higher end graphics...........I don't know if it's doing that). It's possible that that last crash (the one after you reinstalled Win 7) was due to either the 310M overheating or, worse, failed completely. That's why I wanted to force your computer to use the 310 card. But now you say you can't do that or you can do that and the problem is still the same..........that's not a good sign.

Something prompted you to decide to take the big step to reinstall your OS. I've done that before just on priniciple but I knew exactly why I was doing it. I've also done that to fix corrupted system files. And I've done it for a couple friends who got computers that were used and needed to start fresh. What made you think that reinstalling Win 7 would fix the problems you were experiencing at the time? Were you crashing after a period of time when using SL or other graphic instensive programs? When you crashed was it the program you were running that crashed or did your system (Win 7) crash? Were there error messages when you crashed? Did your computer lock up? Restart on it's own? Or simple shut down?

What is the make and model of your computer? I would like to see if there's an online manual that might help me to figure out how to check to see if there's a setting that the user can set to force the computer to use the discrete card. Of if there's a way to tell if the auto switching to taking place. I think your 310M failed on you but I can't be sure. You might have to take it to a repair facility.

• Like 1

well i hope we can fix it cuz i didnt buy the warranty cuz i couldnt afford the warranty and i had the same problem before i reinstalled i just reinstalled win7 cuz i was out of ideas and no sl is the only game with that problem and i dont think its the card cuz its running programs like flight simulator and crysis on high settings and my laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Z560

This is all I can find that gives and sort of help:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ot/en/TroubleShooting/TroubleShooting.html

I was able to get the users manual but for what is happening it's not of any use. Lenovo evidently doesn't want you to do much. I had a Lenovo desktop and got a littled peeved with them for things like this......they want you to pay for their technical assistance no matter how minor the problem (my "problem" was I simply wanted to increase the partition size for the OS drive because 30 megs was way too small for Vista..........they wouldn't even tell me if I did that would it effect the recovery partition unless I paid the $90 USD). But other than that the computer was very good for an off the shelf machine.

Read through some to the trouble shooting and see if it sparks any ideas for you. The driver installation section looks to me like something to take a look at. Installing the motherboard/CPU drivers, then installing the discrete video card drivers might be something you try. Follow their instructions.

Hope it helps..........I'll check back later today.

I hope you haven't given up, Wolf. I might be out of ideas at the moment but I believe others are watching this thread because of the view count climbing...maybe someone else has a solution.

I know you mentioned a couple times that you don't believe it's your video card because it just happens with SL. SL is probably the only program you use that utilizes OpenGL rendering. The crash you experienced just before you could no longer get the viewer to launch was while in SL..........it's possible (and somewhat likely) that the driver was damaged in that crash. If the part that was damaged in the driver code had to do with the OpenGL the driver uses it certainly could be only OpenGL programs will have the problem. Try some games that use OpenGL (I can't think of any since I'm not a gamer) but Google can find some for you, I'm sure. Then try some games that use DirectX rendering (WoW is popular and uses DirectX). See if the problem persists on either of the games or both. Just a passing thought.

Here's shot in the dark. I don't know if you can remove the 310M easily from your computer (laptops present problems in that regard) but if you can, try removing it and try SL. Most of the Intel HD graphics are higher performing than the GMA 945 graphics that are motherboard intergrated and they will run SL with current drivers and the peference setting set to low. I think it should work.......not well but work. If it does then my fears about your card being the problem is reinforced...........I really hope it doesn't work. But you'll never know if you don't test it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.