SLviewer crashes on login phase

poppopwii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. for 3 days ago, my Sl started to crash on login. at the "dowloading clothes" phase my screens gets black for a second. after that a error message appears with the content "The NVIDIA OpenGLdriver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close. Error code:8" 
also. it appears a smal windows message in the corner wich says : " Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered, Graphics Driver NVIDIA Windows kernel mode driver, Version 280.26 stopped responding and has recovered. "

I've tryed to unistall SL completly, update my Video drivers. and also tryed on my laptop. the funny thing is that the same problems is there aswell.

I'm using an updated version of SL viewer. It's wierd because it have worked properly befor al this. 
some hardware/software info if needed. 

Intel Core i7 940.
6gb ram
win7 64
2x GeForce GTX 460
P6x58D-E motherboard.

would be happy for some good answers to this :) wich isn't that complicated .  

Sounds like you may need to do a clean reinstall of your graphics drivers.

1. Reboot to safe mode
  2. Go into device manager, remove your nVidia adapter.
  3. Reboot and log in as Administrator or another user with adminsitrative privileges.
  4. Allow Windows to install nVidia drivers.
  5. Log out of Administrator and back into your Normal User account.  (it's always good practice to use a normal user, not one with adminsitrator privs, for day-to-day usage that doesn't require elevated privileges as a proactive measure against malware and mistakes).

No, a clean reinstall will do nothing.   See JIRA issue here:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2240?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=285833

The fixed function has been deprecated for some time, and Second Life has relied on compatibility profile OpenGL contexts for many rendering operations. Many GL implementations no longer support the fixed function at all, and that number will grow rapidly in the future. It is imperative that the viewer be capable of running outside of a compatibility profile context.

I just started having the same problem with second life viewer crashing on login.

I have an older Dell running windows XP. It has 1.5 gig of ram and a P4 2.4 Ghz CPU. Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9200 Series. Never had a problem until second life auto updated on startup today. any thoughts?

Broken code is broken, sure, but without seeing the secondlife.log and debug_info.log, I'm more inclined to blame the fragile driver ecosystem on Windows, which has been historically at fault and fixed this, over blaming the Lindens using deprecated GL calls (though on Windows, could very well be both at this point).

@Baloo - This is a well known recent problem with the latest nVidia drivers being used for SL and is by far the most likely explanation for this error which is affecting many SL users.  I just wish that LL would be more open about it and add it to the release notes as it is a showstopper for many residents, and they may leave SL unless they know how to get around it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.