Modo 501 & Second Life Meshes

Kaleb Khaos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been using Luxology Modo since version 301. Since using it, I have learned how to create well built sculpties in the program using templates readily available online. The UV is incredibly easy, and strait forward. The modeling system is well built, the same goes for the scuplt system. The rendering engine is amazing, and also very easy to use. Latley I have been testing out mesh importing into sl, using this program. So far it works perfect, with multiple meshes and UV maps. The good thing is you do not need any 3rd party plugins to save as a (.dae) it is default file type in the program. I know many people use blender, since it is free. This program is costly, but does a free trial so you can see if it is worth the price. Good Luck! ( If you need any help or tips on the program, shoot me a message in SL )

I've also owned/used Modo since version 301 and upgraded along the way.  I would say, however, it's an excellent modeler for intermediate to advanced users rather then beginners, and has a supurb renderer which uses a photoshop user friendly layering system as opposed to a node system. 

I would stress that I do not believe it is the best program for beginners and also has the limitation is its lack of a complete animation system where you can rig clothes and avatars and animate to the avatar bones. 

I bought the program with version 301 and kept upgrading, but basically I wasted my money all along the upgrade process because I had a lot more to learn before it became really useful for me.  I would have been better off starting with Blender and then buying Modo at a more advanced point in my learning curve.  Also there are far fewer comprehensive videos geared to the beginning user that are freely available on the internet compared to blender and other programs.

Until I put Modo aside for a bit and really committend myself to learn Blender I never really understood 3d modeling.  Now with Blender behind my belt I can finally feel my way around Modo, 2 upgrades later.  

So although I would, also, recommend Modo, but I would do so with reservations.   I don't necessarily encourage newcomers to 3d modeling to start out with modo and the free trial period is much too limited for someone without really established 3d skills to get a complete sense of it.

Edited to add:  Please excuse my horrific grammar and spelling errors.  I've had my head buried in Blender and Poser all day trying to animate my dang cat (unsuccessfully, I might add) so this is my excuse for sounding a bit deranged.  No heavy drinking was involved in the writing of this post :).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.