Video Card Issue Please Help

XtasyBliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Secondlifeveiwer2 is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date or are for unsupported hardware please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you have the latest try reinstalling them if you continue to receive this message , contact the Second Life Support Portal I already did all that and its still not working this is not a very old PC it is maybe three years old. So I don't understand why I am just now having this issue. I have tried every viewer should I just replace the card or is there another way I could go about this without spending 50 - 100 bucks on a new video card

2 answers to this question

Did you update your video drivers? 

A three year old computer may or may not be obsolete..........it depends on the expandability it has.  Some computers are, for all practical purposes, unable to be upgraded (I call them throw away computers........they generally are the bargain computer that come with a monitor, printer and a software bundle that is useless.  Emachine comes to mind).  Some are capable of upgrading to a point...........three years is probably at the extreme of that.  Then there are some high performance computers that are good for 5 or more years.........you probably paid close to $800 without a monitor for that machine.  And then there's the custom built (or home built).........if planned well those computers will still be powerful after 6 or 7 years.

Someone might be able to offer some help to you and save you a video card expense if you give us some specs.  Launch your viewer but don't log in.  Under the help menu click on "About Second Life".  Copy the specs listed and paste back here.  To add the specs or comments to this thread use the "Options" at the upper right hand corner and "Edit".

Three years old can be OK or ready for doorstop status depending on where it was in the hierarchy when purchased. :D

You said you tried "every" viewer. Did you try the old 1.23 computer that you can still log in on (for now anyway)?  I can use that on a six year old laptop that has an integrated graphics card. It isn't pretty, but it does work. So give that a go if you have not. If you DO upgrade your graphics card so that you can have more viewer options, be SURE and take the state of your POWER SUPPLY into the equation. No point in buying a new card that your power supply cannot support -- a typical failing.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers   (1.23 viewer is at the bottom of this page).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.