How to manage blatant copyright infringement

Sylvia Fitzpatrick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I own an Art Gallery in SL and go to great lengths to secure Artists permissions for all the work we exhibit and sell. We also pay commission to the artists, RL and SL , on the basis that we show and sell exclusively on their behalf in SL.  I constantly find the work for sale for derisory sums in Marketplace, blatantly infringing copyright, basically selling images stolen from the artists in RL via downloads. When challenged they ignore the information sent  ( except for one ) Why is there  nothing in place in SL via LL to prevent this? I can't even report it in Ticket. Linden Labs, shame on you, you claim to protect intellectual property yet brush it back into SL. What is the answer?

2 answers to this question

DCMA is the mechnism used for reporting copyright infringement.  The linked page tells you how to file.

http://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php

It should be noted that this is how you protect YOUR copyrights.  If you are talking about people infringing on the copyrights of others, then you need to contact the person who owns the copyright and they need to decide if they want to file a complaint or not.

--Cinn

• Like 1

I applaud you and your work!

LL does tend to take IP as seriously as it can but bearing in mind that it is a legal issue, they can only act as the DMCA and related laws allow.  Don't forget that you always have the RL legal system to fall back on.  You may even find a class action works best for a group such as artists.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.