how do i start a radio station using a MAC?

DreamSong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Try using Nicecast.

Found this while looking for a friend who wanted to DJ on SL with their Mac. You will want the full paid version if you want to broadcast more than an hour at a time but it's only $59.

I don't know about its ease of use or quality unfotunately, but at least worth testing out the free trial.

Edit: You will need to either set up your own streaming server or hire one. They're cheap enough in world.

Nicecast works very well.  I have used iTunes, Ultramixer VirtualDJ and Mixxx for music sources.  If you want to talk over the music, Nicecast offers a voiceover ducking feature that drops the music level so your voice can be heard (but if you use iTunes and pause the music, all audio stops including voiceover, so you must play music continuously.  I haven't tried that with ultramixer, VirtualDJ or Mixxx).  I use a Griffin iMic USB audio interface so i can route Ultramixer, VirtualDJ or Mixxx out and into an external audio mixer (I use a Sampson MDR6 - $99) to mix voice over audio from more than one source, like a CD player or another computer.  The mixer feeds the computer through the Griffin iMic and feeds Nicecast.  This setup works very well.  If also use two computer, one for SL and one for music, so an SL crash doesn't affect the music.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you re twawill also need a shoutcast stream.  In simple terms your software sends the audio to thestream, and people then connect to the stream so they can listen.

There are many providers of streams in world - you should be able to search for one and ifnd one that fits your budget.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.