Second Life Beta Viewer 3.0.3 periodic lag spikes every 3/4 of a second

Seinah Andel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, I'm using the official Second Life Beta Viewer 3.0.3 every 3/4 of a second or so, the viewer seems to have tiny lag spikes that last for about 1/10 of a second.

this happens no matter if my frame rate is at 15 in a crowded house or if I'm up in the sky at 70 FPS with nothing around. I dont have this problem with viewer 3.0.2, 3.0.0, Phoenix, Firestorm, RLV, or Kirsten's Viewer. also sometimes it doesn't lag for a few seconds and starts up again.

My specs are:
 Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Processor (overclocked at 2.6 GHz)
 4GB 360 MHz DDR2 RAM (3.25GB Useable)
 ASUS P5K SE Motherboard
 Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512 Graphics Card (Driver v280.26 latest)

I did tests on my 2 other computers and none of them had problems though both of Hitomi Tiponi's Nvidia computers have this problem it seems, maybe it's a problem with Nvidia cards

Gateway NV52 laptop
 AMD Athalon X2 64 2.1GHz
 4GB RAM
 Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
 ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

DELL Inspiron 530 Desktop
 Windows XP Pro 32bit
 Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz Processor
 2GB RAM
 Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 

That video card is a 4-year-old design, but I don't see anything obviously slow about it. It was top-end when it came out. The current nVidia driver has fixed a few glitches for my system, so if you haven't upgraded recently, it's worth doing.

I wouldn't use Viewer 3 myself, it's been so much slower than other Mesh-capable Viewers. I think you should try a different Viewer, if only to eliminate some possible causes. Kirstens S21 is what I use for Mesh. But it does sound as though the Viewer 3 betas are getting somewhere with the speed problem.

Thanks for the reply!
As for my graphics card, it still runs well enough for me and plays everything well enough, I like to tweak the settings for optimum performance anyway ^^
I just included my driver version, I'm running the latest 280.26 and I was when I had the issue as well
I like viewer 3 though because it's stable and up to date and fast for me, though I do like alot of the features of firestorm,
-vertical IM tabs
-sound notification on keywords in chat
-RLV
-Pie menu
-notification on people entering and exiting chat range
-auto close ((OOC))
-extra graphics menus
-yes I'm talking to you developers
Though I suppose this thread is meant more to notify the developers of this issue since I'm technically beta testing... though I find it rather stupid that I have to post this in the forums and there isn't a little UI button or something to "Report Bug" with a simple bug type, and message box that then gathers your specs and sends them your report... this is a beta and the point of us using this beta is to find bugs for you to fix,  LL... just thought I'd point that out...
lulz I'm pointlessly ranting arent I? 9u9

Seinah Andel wrote:

there isn't a little UI button or something to "Report Bug" with a simple bug type, and message box that then gathers your specs and sends them your report... this is a beta and the point of us using this beta is to find bugs for you to fix,  LL... just thought I'd point that out...

The viewer used to have a Report Bug option but LL removed it due to the allegedly low quality of the reports. They said it had gotten to the point where they didn't even read the description anymore because it often had nothing to do with the bug.

Now they want people to report bugs in jira. Speaking of, your issue sounds like SH-2031.

I have also been suffering this - it happenned during a late 3.0.2 dev change.  It affects both my laptop with Nvidia 445M and a netbook with an Nvidia Ion (and on my own and WiFi connections) so it could be related to the OpenGL issue or be something else.  It is odd watching it spike at approximately 1 second intervals and it really degrades the SL experience - dancing at clubs is ridiculous as it is now so jerky.

I have checked on the JIRA but cannot find an already raised issue - I am trying to find what affects it to give LL more info before raising one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.