Viewer 3.0.0 up to 3.0.3 Beta crashes in crowded places.

Minareth Irata

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, guess the Subject says tells most of what is going on, but yeah, I keep crashing in crowded places and yes, I want to use Viewer 2 3.0 and up. Also understood this issue mostly happens to Windows users, just in case it helps, some specifications.

Second Life 3.0.3 (239645), CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Memory: 8192 MB, OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601), Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 running on v280.26 drivers.

Is there something I could perhaps disable/enable which is known to help? Running deferred or non-deferred doesn't seem to matter I noticed. But haven't tried many other settings.

Can anyone help?

This is probably related to SL using deprecated OpenGL functions that are not supported by the most recent Nvidia drivers - it can be helped by rolling back to a driver that is a couple of years old - or waiting until LL fixes it, which they are trying to do.  Of course it may be surprising that a viewer with base code written in the last two years still calls OpenGL functions that were deprecated many years ago - but then maybe not.

Well, lots of my friends are saying it is because Second Life uses OpenGL 2 ánd 3, it's what causing the troubles with the latest nVidia drivers, but they also say Lindens Labs is working on making Second Life fully OpenGL 3, hope that'll happen soon enough as these crashes are making me pull my hair out...

Well, seems I'm suffering what a lot of users suffer who have nVidia, Windows 7 and 64-bit, namely a failing memory allocation.

The last few lines of my crash log with the news I'd rather not hear:

2011-09-04T09:43:16Z WARNING: log_glerror: GL Error: 1285 GL Error String: Onvoldoende geheugen2011-09-04T09:43:16Z INFO: LLVertexBuffer::mapVertexBuffer: Available physical mwmory(KB): 51225162011-09-04T09:43:16Z INFO: LLVertexBuffer::mapVertexBuffer: Available virtual memory(KB): 635922011-09-04T09:43:16Z llrender/llvertexbuffer.cpp(1190) : error2011-09-04T09:43:16Z ERROR: LLVertexBuffer::mapVertexBuffer: memory allocation for vertex data failed.

Related JIRA: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-1650

EDIT: Seems it is not entirely windows related as a Windows XP 32-bit user has reported to have the same issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.