VFS initialization failure. I do not know how to fix and I have tried everything.

Wobbie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all, Wobbie here and I am not happy. I have been trying to enjoy SL for a while not and have spent hours upon hours trying to fix this problem. The problem I am having is simple only in what happens the program starts its loading progress with the dialog box it loads everything,detects hardware, and all that jazz and then sticks onto initialization for a second maybe up to three at most before disappearing(firestorm) or popping up a crash dialog box(viewer2).

Here is what I have tried:

Uninstall>reinstall

Uninstall>restart>reinstall

Delete roaming and local file>start program

Delete roaming and local file>restart>start program

Uninstall>Delete>restart>install>start program

reset router/modem>Start program

I have windows 7 and my video driver is up to date as well as windows 7 itself. My notebook (Asus g73jh) is hooked up to the Ethernet cable and internet is not a problem.

I have been able to access second life once then I uninstalled it for various reason now I can't play anymore. If someone doesn't help me -.- my head is going to bash my keyboard into oblivion.

Thanks for your help,

Wobbie Dawn

The game does not load at all. No login Screen!!!

PS: Post anything about simply deleting roaming and local files will be ignored unless given good reason. I really don't want to have to go back there again. I have seen it way way way to many times for me to stand even looking at them.

Edit (08-28-2011 9:46 cst):

I only have one viewer installed at once and sorry to say I have the same problem with Pheonix. I also deleted its cache as well after first try.

Edit (08-28-2011 10:20 cst):

I have tried Imprudence and singularity as well and it is the exact same thing. My ram is fine since I can run other games (League of Legends). I deleted the cache each time after i uninstalled.

5 answers to this question

You indicate that you have at least two viewers on your computer:  Firestorm and V2.  Each of them should have their own cache areas.  I suggest that you do the following:

deinstall both viewers -> delete both cache folders -> install one viewer (try Phoenix) -> startup the viewer

Since you have already reset your router/modem, I will not recommend doing that.

Once you have the login page up, log into Pooley or Smith sims and let your inventory load completely before you try doing anything.

Wobbie wrote:

PS: Post anything about simply deleting roaming and local files will be ignored unless given good reason. I really don't want to have to go back there again. I have seen it way way way to many times for me to stand even looking at them.

VFS is a caching problem so that is why you are likely to get people suggesting that, unless your computer suddenly developed a RAM probelm.  If youchanged  your cache to save to a location other than the default, obviously make sure that you have deleted it from there.

Also Firestorm and the LL viewer are both V2 based, so I agree with the suggestion of trying a V1 based viewer, such as Phoenix, Imprudence, Singularity or 1.23 to see if you get the same issue with them.

Ok, here is what I found as I have the same laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 video card. After getting this laptop I tried logging in once again after a long time to try and hang out with my wife and had the same issues you have, no viewer whatsoever worked. Her new desktop with an ATI video card had the same problem. I had to update her drivers to the newest from ATI's website and that got it working. However, that's really not an option for these laptops as Asus makes custom drivers for these things. After much frustration I managed to completely remove the Asus drivers and install the new ATI driver package off their website. I was then able to login to SL however every other game I tried to play (various FPS games, WoW) were terribly unstable as that driver isn't terribly compatible with whatever Asus did when having the cards made. Yes its an ATI chipset however I believe Asus had the cards custom made for these. I really don't know what to tell you. You CAN make it work like I did, however you are going to make your system horribly unstable and from my experience the video card ran hotter than normal.

• Like 1

Ok, I might have found something. I cannot believe I didn't find this in my previous searches trying to upgrade my display drivers. Apparently the grey screen of death is common after upgrading the video drivers using the factory video bios. Here is a vbios upgrade that was created to fix it...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/515309-how-fix-your-gsod-blues.html

and here is a collection of drivers for our laptops that has been gathered which also has the video bios and instructions on how to install it..

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

How brave are you feeling? I flashed the new bios to mine just now and installed the "[JH] AMD Catalyst WHQL : 11.08 (08/17/11)" listed there. I managed not to brick my video card and it lets me load SL. Hopefully everything else continues to work, reading other peoples results from there does look promising. Its up to you if you take this path or not, I just couldn't stand being stuck on 2 year old video drivers. Wish me luck, worst case I should be able to wipe the drivers and reinstall the factory Asus from their site. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.