My screen keeps freezing up after logging in to Second Life.

Ambrose Wonder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My screen keeps freezing up in Second Life and I have to reboot my computer to be able to log back in.  Doesn't matter if I've been on 5 minutes or 3 hours, the freeze-up seems to happen at random.  This has been happening for over a month now.  Never had this problem in the past.

2 answers to this question

Google free hardware monitoring software.  There are many out there that are excellent for keeping tabs on what's happening with your hardware while you're running SL........specifically your video card temps.  The brief and pretty incomplete discription you provided leads me to think your video adapter is overheating.  There are many causes for that to happen but simple dust build up inside your computer case is the major cause........desktops are easy to clean, laptops can be a problem.  And laptops, simply due to the design, can have the problem unless you use some sort of cooling device when using them on programs like SL...........a cooling pad should be required for people with laptops.

Whatever the reason, you need to find out what is causing it.  If it's heat (as I suspect) it won't get any better and will eventually damage your computer (maybe to the point of not economically feasible to repair).  Don't blow the problem off.........that could wind up being expensive.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.