Sign in to follow this  
Sparky Ziplon

Memory leak on fresh install

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so second life has been a pain in my backside for a very long time now. 

My system specs are:

Core i7 920

6gb ddr3 ram

GTX 550ti

tons of hard drive space

And this is a good system, able to run many things at max.  However, second life has always seemed to hate it.  It drove me so crazy that I finally broke down and reinstalled windows.  Now, however, its worse!  It runs beautifully.. for five minutes.  Then crashes.  Why? What appears to be a memory leak.

The second life process starts off at 260mb usage, then climbs rapidly over the course of a few minutes to 1.4-1.5gb, then the window dissapears.

I'm really not sure what to do. Its a clean install as of about 30 minutes ago, and this was literally the first piece of software I installed after updating and putting on drivers.  What gives?

Have you tried this with another supported operating system other than Windows?  It could be related to intentional bogosity introduced by Microsoft to Windows support for OpenGL.  Trying it on another platform would eliminate that factor.

I actually figured it out.  Vcredist whatever it is was not installed.  When I installed it (because avast wouldn't work) suddenly second life had no more memory leaks :D

So a note to anyone experiencing my problem, make sure you install vcredist. (c++ runtime 2008 or something like that)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.