A Tough Week for R&B

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This week saw the passing of three people who had a lot to do with a style of music that was once called Rhythm and Blues. First came the news that Nick Ashford had died in New York. He wrote or co-wrote a lot of very popular songs; his most famous was 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'. Nick Ashford

The next day brought the news that Jerry Leiber had died in Los Angeles. He was also a songwriter and co-wrote some great songs with his writing partner Mike Stoller. The article lists a great many of their songs but I didn't see a reference to one of my favorite songs of all time: they co-wrote, with Ben E. King, 'Stand By Me'. Jerry Leiber

And now today I see an article about someone I'd actually never heard of but who was also a tremendous influence: Esther Gordy Edwards. Her brother, Berry Gordy, founded the Motown label and she worked with or for Motown for decades. Esther Gordy Edwards 

I planned on putting this in the Entertainment Forum but I guess that went away, so I put it here instead. I just wanted to suggest that any of you DJ's might want to inject a little old-fashioned R&B into your playlists this weekend. That is, those of you who have electricity and internet access—I wish all of you on the East Coast a safe weekend.

I have a lot of soul on my station, particularly from the early 70s, the heyday of soul.  Al Green, Marvin Gaye, the Stylistics, Stevie Wonder.  By the way if you'd like to stream my station on your property, message me.

Also Leiber is immortalized as one of the displays in my shop Tin Pan Alley, which is a gallery dedicated to songwriters.  Can be found in Soho area of Mainland London.  a lot of interactive displays there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.