Prim Equivs and it's uses!

Relapse Gauntley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a general question. For someone wanting to build architecture for sims and were banking on using meshes have to suffer for the Prim Equivs?

I've read: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Calculating-prim-equivalent-weight/ta-p/974163, and yet I still would like to know if there is a way around it or just more information on this.

I've managed to create some high-detailed objects that say (1 prim, 25 prim equivs) -- I could create the same object with sculpties and it'll count for less prims. It says it's 1 prim, but the sim is counting it for 25 prims. Does this mean that sculpties are superior to meshes in terms of prim efficiency?

I am actually curious as to what you guys have to say about this.

The problem is the relative high PE for larger scale objects. It is possible to make mesh objects with a even lower or similar PE compared to sculpts. Though, if you try to make palm tree groups (e.g. 16 trees - 2 sculpt prims), you will likely fail to achieve that with mesh.

But it is possible to save prims on some objects with mesh, which enables you to spend higher PE on other meshes. Let's say, I saved 40 PE with a mesh house over a similar looking prim house. This enables me to build four 10 PE trees for example and still have the same prim count like before with the prim house only.

Edit to add: You can't really compare mesh with prims/sculps, because the accounting system is different. It took me a while during the beta to accept that. It's up to us which tools we use to achieve what we want. If you think sculpts will do a better job for you, use them. If you prefer mesh, because of their possibilities, you may take the higher PE, and have probably less triangles to render on your sim, sharper textures with even smaller textures, custom LODs etc...

Mesh objects are penalized for size and inefficient LOD and physics shape.  So for large things like buildings they can come out more expensive in prim cost.  Sculpts always cost 1 prim, but cannot do custom physics shape, or custom/multiple UV mappings.  So which is best will depend on the details, and an optimized building may end up using prims, scultps, and mesh items as a mix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.