Charity Cheaters ?

Telly Actor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been voting in a charity conttest all week, It is a contest where the L is to be given to what I know is a good charity but the ones running it are not so ethical.  The rules started out one way. 50% of L d'donated' via vvotes goes to the winner, 25% to be split between 2 charities and 25 % was going to those running the contest for 'overhead' . Then peple complained when someone they were voting for fell behind and the rules were changed to appease and benefit them. Now the charities get 30% of of the funds collected (that is a plit of the 30% BETWEEN THE 2) . Many of us who play as a free a membership to sl  have now, after almost a week of taking our L, have been told we can no longer vote because we don 't buy L so have no pmt info.   The contest is being put on by a certain magazine and they have horns in more ways than one.

Now that they have enough L to pay tiers fees for 2 months they are not allowing us to participate in the last phase of the contest and watch those we support possibly win.   We can not get our L back or finish the contest. I would be happy to name names.

It sucks I know and there are many people here who lack the level of ethics or who's idea of ethical differ from ours.

However, there is little here you can do other than rant and let other residents know that you are frustrated.  What I would do would be to file an Abuse Report though that may not work for your situation.  As you are probably talking about a very small amount of a donation (as most are) there may not be much of an issue here but I would still find out who the charity is in the end and call them to make sure they got their donation.

Anyone who collects revenues for doing charity work in SL is not something I would or do donate to.

In the US, you must have the permission of any charity to collect donation on their behalf.  You can donate on your own and in fact make a group contribution but you cannot not solicit funds publicly or hold fund raisers without their consent.

can you prove they changed their rules, and the p[ercentages? they will also have rights to change whatever they like, but i would name them anyway, just to make sure others dont get caught in their web and can stay clear. I would also submit a ticket under "fraud" to LL if i were you....i hate liers and cheater, there are enough of them in RL....

If it is the same place i am thinking of, I was voting there earlier in the week, and they changed it from unlimited voting, to only allowing 100 votes per hour.  which i really dont have a problem with, but i had voted 50 times, and they told me i had reached my 100 vote limit.  I told him i had only voted half of the allowed votes, but he would no longer respind to me. Come to find out, I had also been banned for a short period of time.  I did file an abuse report under Fraud.   The changes that were made today to exclude those with no payment info on file is just rediculous imho.  I really do hope that the charities involved with this mag do take heart and try to salvage their reputations.  They are really good charities, one of which i do support in RL, as well as in SL.

One would be wise to be careful who they donate L$s to. Just because someone says X % of proceeds is going to go to a charity doesn't mean that it will actually find its way into that charity's coffers.*

Personally, I think those pay-to-vote contests are a scam unto themselves.

*Note that I am not maligning legitimate charitable fundraising efforts in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.