Mesh creation software

Tharkis Olafson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I posted this before, but seeing as there's more people following this forum than when I originally posted, I figured I would give it another shot. I would like to play around with making my own meshes. However, I know 2 things about 3d Modeling outside of SL. Jack and Squat, and Jack left the sim some time ago.

In any case, I'm trying to find a program and possibly some tutorials that will help me achieve what I want to do. I learned to build objects in SL, I'd love to continue to work this way in some form of 3d software. This means building an object out of primatives, and essentially linking them together. As I get comfortable with this, I'd like to learn more, similarly to how I did with building in SL when I learned how to cut, twist, and etc.

I guess what I am looking for is a sort of "Ivory Tower of Primatives" style of a tutorial for some sort of rendering package, be it Blender or 3ds Max.

Does such an animal exist, or at the very least can someone give me a shove in the right direction? Right now I've been messing with 3ds Max and Blender, but neither is what I call "simple to master". I think the biggest problem is that there are so many options, buttons, etc. that I don't know where to start. It would be nice if someone could maybe do a tutorial on how to go from starting up the app to making a simple object, and upload it to the grid.

There are many video tutorials for every popular 3D program, and books for most of them.

For 3ds Max, Autodesk has their own official tutorials on YouTube:

Max Video Channel

And a set of web tutorials you can read online or download:

Max Tutorials

The built-in help is actually quite good once you have some idea what things are called, so you can look them up.  That is also available online, or as a download which you can read separate from the program:

Max Help Page

For just about anything, though, I can google my question, and *something* will usually pop right up, a web page tutorial, video, or forum answer.

• Like 1

When I search the googs for info, I always set the search tools, on the left of the page, to search in the last year or month to get the latest tutorials. e.g. Blender 2.5 tut edge loops

News: Part 6 of the "model a female character" series is up now at Blender Cookie. I suggest to following along. He's a great tutor.

modeling-the-female-body-series

There, plenty of easier stuff too.

eta: Some may have to view the vids through Vimeo like I do... not in US I guess. Damn you geographical discrimination!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.