Need help for 3ds max

Kilian Jie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, i have been to try to make some mesh buildings like this picture http://screencast.com/t/gEsaVLQwa312

but as you can see i would know how to render in texture every faces one by one because if i render the whole object, the texture look too low quality and blur in Secondlife. 

i guess that its because the size of my object is too big to render it in only one texture 1024x1024

ps; i use 3ds max sub material.

I'm using Maya, haven't touched 3d max, yet. But, I would assume you can render and bake every seperate mesh on its own, meaning you create one mesh for the floor, one for the wall, etc.

I think - though I am not an expert when it comes to rendering - you have poor quality textures because a) you don't bake out your renders with max quality b) you use low resolution textures. For example, if you'd use a 100x100px texture and paste it onto a a square face and try to bake it out in 1024x1024px format, your texture will be stretched out 10 times. At least, that's what I think, but again, I am not familiar with rendering, nor do I know how it exactly works.

Hi StoneDwarf, thanks for your reply!

I have Maya too its also a good software but i've been to use Max for a while.

Its like if i would render to texture only one face of a very simple cube.

i know how to render the whole object but not just one face .

It would be nice if someone who know that or i've been working on some buildings to tell me how to get it for 3ds max or also Maya and blender. thanks

Hi guy ralior and thank you! 

yes like a sub material who is good to apply different materials for each faces, but then how to render to texture each faces separately on the same object? that what i really need to know.

or maybe that i'm wrong and then its not possible and every parts of my building must be differents objects?

I'm not sure if your asking how to actually apply the materials or how to just see them in max? When you say how to render to texture, I'm assuming you have applied the materials and aren't sure how to apply textures to the materials. In your hypershade or whatever it's called in max you want to add 2d texture from file to the material and then navigate to the texture you have already made elsewhere. Then once it's applied in the "hypershade" make sure you have texture rendering turned on to see it in max.

Hi again guY Ralior, its all good with my materials and also to apply and see them in max.

my problem is, that i just want to know if its possible and how to render in texture each faces of my building like on this screenshoothttp://screencast.com/t/gEsaVLQwa312

Because i want to make a big Mesh building and i cant render in one texture the whole building

Ah now I get you sorry for the confusion :) well how I do it is if you need extreme detail in one area and not another I would make that UV shell bigger than ones you maybe have just a solid color on or something similarly simple. Then make your map a reasonable size maybe 512 x 512 and see how it looks. If you aren't getting the detail you want break the UV map up into multiple maps such that you can get the detail you are looking for in them, but also doing what I described above when you are nesting your shells. Hope this helps :)

(edited) you can also stack UVs that will have same texture to save space on your map

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.